Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Food

I don't think I'm alone here, but when it's hotter than Hades outside, I really don't feel like cooking big meals and heating up the kitchen/house. That being said, food does need prepared and some of the things I'm harvesting need used up/preserved.
Here a few glimpses into what's been going on in the kitchen:
Before going back to work, a friend of mine joined me for breakfast. Part of this breakfast was this "spinach pie". So easy and so good! 
Place a tortilla in a pie dish (I used a spinach tortilla).
Alternately layer a handful of cheese (I used a combination of feta and parmesan) and a handful of spinach - I used about 1 1/2 cups cheese and 3 cups fresh spinach total.
Mix 5 - 8 eggs, 2 tbs milk, 3 roasted garlic cloves, lemon pepper and salt to taste and pour over spinach. Try to keep egg mixture on the inside of the tortilla.
Bake at 365 for 30 to 40 minutes. 
You could add some cooked bacon to the egg mixture, but I would rather have my bacon on the side. :-)

Ich denke ich bin nicht die Einzige die keine grosse Lust zum Kochen hat wenn es draussen so unsagbar heiss ist. Der Gedanke den Ofen oder Herd anzumachen und die Kueche und das Haus aufzuheissen ist fast unerdenklich. Trotzdem wird natuerlich gegessen und auch so einiges vom Garten verarbeitet.
Hier ein paar Photos aus der Kueche:
Bevor ich wieder auf die Arbeit bin, hatte ich eine Freundin zum Fruehstueck hier. Ein Teil dieses Fruehstuecks war diese "Spinat Torte". So einfach und so lecker!
Man legt eine Tortilla (ich hatte eine Spinat Tortilla genommen) in eine runde Auflaufform und hierrauf werden abwechselnd 1 /12 Tassen Kaese (meine Kombi war Feta und Parmesan)  und 3 Tassen frischer Spinat verteilt. 
In einer Schuessel werden nun 5 - 8 Eier mit 2 Essl. Milch, 3 geroestete Knoblauchzehen, Zitronenpfeffer und Salz nach Geschmack verruehrt.
Diese Masse ueber den Spinat giessen (aufpassen, dass alles in der Tortilla bleibt) und bei 185 fuer 30 - 40 Minuten backen. Man koennte der Eiermischung auch noch etwas gekochten bacon beigeben, aber ich esse meinen lieber dazu.
 Our tomato harvest is not nearly as good as last year. Last year I ended up with about 60 kg of tomatoes, whereas this year we've had about 20. We have had enough to eat though and I was even able to make a little bit of roasted tomato sauce.

Die Tomatenernte dieses Jahr faellt leider etwas mickrig aus. Letztes Jahr haben wir ca. 60 kg Tomaten geerntet, waehrend wir dieses Jahr mal gerade 20 kg ernten konnten. Es langt aber auf jeden Fall um unseren Tomatenhunger zu stillen und ich konnte sogar ein bissl Tomatensauce einfrieren.
I cut up the tomatoes, add some rosemary salt and roast them at 350 for about 15 - 20 minutes. Once they're cool enough to handle I slip of the skins and puree them. I don't can these either, I just put the jars in the freezer.

Ich schneide die Tomaten in grobe Stuecke, gebe etwas Rosmariensalz dazu und roeste sie bei 180 fuer 15 - 20 Minuten. Wenn sie etwas abgekuehlt sind mache ich die Haut ab, pueriere das Ganze und dann wird die Sauce einfach eingefroren.
                                                 Not a whole lot, but better than nothing...

                                     Viel kam nicht dabei heraus, aber besser als gar nichts...
The beets are doing fairly well and I tried my hand at lacto fermenting a batch. They'll have to sit out another day before I can put them in the fridge and then I guess I can give them a try. I do love pickled beets, so I'm anxious to see how these will taste.

Die rote Beete waechst relativ gut und ich habe die Tage zum ersten Mal einen Teil mit Molke fermentiert/eingemacht. Sie muessen noch einen Tag bei Zimmertemperatur sthen und dann koennen sie in den Kuehlschrank. Ich liebe eingemachte rote Beete und bin schon mal gespannt wie diese schmecken.
 We seem to either eat a lot of bananas or none at all. Right now it seems to be the "non at all phase" so I had to use some up in other ways. These banana chocolate muffins were a huge hit!

Entweder essen wir ganz viele Bananen oder so gut wie keine. Momentan werden sie mal wieder nicht gegessen und so musste ich mir etwas einfallen lassen um sie aufzubrauchen. Diese Bananen Schoko Muffins waren sehr beliebt bei allen!
                   So what's going on in your kitchen? Or is it too hot too cook for you as well?

Was geht denn bei euch so in der Kueche vor? Oder bleibt die bei euch im Moment auch eher kalt?

20 comments:

  1. Ha, we are the same with bananas, and I end up with lots of bananas in the freezer when we are not into them that much :)

    I love roasting tomatoes too, so much flavour when they are cooked that way.

    Have a wonderful weekend Anke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do freeze bananas as well, but yesterday my sweet tooth was acting up. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I heard you were experiencing some really hot weather, my mama lives one state over, but here it has finally been a little bearable so I have actually been wanting to get in my kitchen. I turned the oven on and even baked muffins!
    I love fermented beets so can't wait to see what you think. I am planting my fall garden this weekend and beets are on my list.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still debating whether or not I want to plant a fall garden. This summer has been so disappointing in the garden, so I'm not sure I'm ready for more of the same.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks delicious, Anke. The muffins and the spinach pie both sound wonderful! I'll be interested in knowing how the lacto fermented beets are. Do you do much of the fermenting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've tried it Dianna. I had big plans on lacto fermenting cabbage, but then the cabbage worms derailed my plans. I'll let you know how they taste.

      Delete
  4. Yes, the heat makes me change how and where I cook. We have air conditioning and have never had it running as much as it has this summer - crazy hot here. When we remodeled our kitchen, we put the old stove/oven in the garage and I can cook and can out there to keep the heat down in the house. But I mostly cook ahead in the morning so at the end of the day we can just collapse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to grill a lot in the summer, but with crazy school, work, swim schedules it is just very hectic during the week. It has been a hot summer, hasn't it?

      Delete
  5. Everything looks just wonderful. I'm envious of your tomato harvest--we haven't gotten any yet.

    I think a "summer kitchen" would be so nice to have; I visited a friend in Southern Michigan a few weeks back and she had an elaborate set-up in her barn. So cool! Neither of us has AC, but she's the only one smart enough to move her cooking "outside"-LOL! Ah well, it's on my wish list.............
    Have a wonderful weekend, Anke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our summer kitchen is our grill on the patio... ;-)

      Delete
  6. yum! there has been a lull in my kitchen because of the leftovers from the wedding and then all that wedding cake made me happy while eating it and then sad after eating it because it's not the healthiest food to put in your body. I'm revamping the menu schedule and focusing on healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally try to eat fairly healthy, but sometimes I really NEED something sweet. :-)

      Delete
  7. lecker Deine rezepte. Bei uns ist es unerträglich heiß. 37`C Alles vertrocknet.Aber für das Wochenende ist Abkühlung und regen gemeldet. Ich hoffe es trifft auch Schwabach, Die Wiese kann man kehren, es sieht hier aus wie im Herbst.
    Sahara Grüße von Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bei uns ist es auch so unertraeglich heiss, Gott sei Dank haben wir Klima! Die feuchte Luft ist fuerchterlich... Hoffentlich bekommt ihr wirklich den ersehnten Regen!

      Delete
  8. Banana chocolate muffins? That sounds heavenly.
    We've been only cooking the necessary....you know, just to keep us alive. :)
    Your tomatoes do look good and that spinach pie is something I'd love to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was up to me, I wouldn't cook at all when it's so hot. I'd be perfectly happy with lots of salads, fruits and occasionally something from the grill...

      Delete
  9. Eigentlich hatte ich bis gerade keinen Hunger ;o)
    Dank dir und deines Postings...wird gleich der Schrank oder besser gesagt...die Küche "überfallen" *schmunzel*
    Du bist so fleißig,Anke.
    Soviel "leckeres" und das bei den Temperaturen bei euch..
    Kompliment das du dies gemacht hast !

    Viele liebe Grüße
    Swaani

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dankeschoen Swaani. :-) Bei der Hitze arbeite ich ja nicht so gerne in der Kueche, aber man tut was man kann. Richtig? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. pretty hot here too, but i'm loving the tortilla 'quiche' kind of thing! have to give that one a try! :) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anke... you are amazing!!! i love your energy!!!

    ReplyDelete