Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Monday, March 23, 2015

Made by hand

Nothing better than handmade, right?
I baked this egg bread the other day - another experiment.
The dutch oven I used before is just way to big to be used in the oven. It took two of us just to get it out far enough to take the lid off! Anyway, until the smaller one arrives here, I am trying to bake the bread on a preheated pizza stone. The crust was pretty good and the bread tasty.

Es geht doch nichts ueber selbst gemachte Sachen, oder?
Die Tage habe ich dieses "Eier Brot" gebacken - war wieder ein Experiment.
Der "dutch oven" den ich bisher benutzt habe war einfach viel zu gross fuer unseren Ofen. Wir mussten ihn zu zweit herausnehmen nur um den Deckel abzunehmen! Ein neuer, kleinerer ist bestellt, aber bis er hier ist backe ich nun auf dem "pizza stone". Habe ihn aber mit im Ofen vorgeheizt und die Brotkruste war gut und das Brot lecker.
 I am still working on the quilt I started. Actually I need to go get the fabric for the backing so I can get to work on it again.. Since there were still some fabric scraps left, I decided to turn them into a table runner. It's a nice pop of color, don't you think?

Ich bin immer noch daran meinen ersten quilt fertig zu machen. Die Vorderseite ist fertig genaeht, nun muss ich aber los um Stoff fuer die Rueckseite zu kaufen. Da ich von dem quilt noch Stoffreste uebrig hatte, dachte ich mache ich daraus einen kleinen Tischlaeufer. Mir gefaellts, brauche einfach momentan mehr Farbe...
 The second Hermione loves Ron hat is done, the picture just doesn't do the vibrant colors justice. It's been warmer here so I might not get to wear it anytime soon, but you know what, I'm ok with that. ;-)

Die zweite Hermione loves Ron Muetze ist fertig, leider gibt das Photo die Farben gar nicht so gut wieder. Zur Zeit ist es bei uns wieder waermer geworden und so kann ich die Muetze gar nicht tragen, ehrlich gesagt macht mir das aber nichts aus. ;-)
 While digging through my stash to find yarn for a new project, I came across some of my very fist spun yarn. Very lumpy and bumpy and not a lot of it. I had made potholders out of it before and since they were getting pretty raggedy looking, I made a new pair. They work really well, especially once washed and felted!

Als ich in meinen Wollkoerben nach Wolle fuer ein neues Projekt gegraben habe, ist mir ein Knaeuel meiner ersten selbstgesponnenen Wolle in die Haende gefallen. Ist sehr uneben gesponnen und viel war auch nicht davon da, hat aber gerade fuer zwei Topflappen gereicht. Ich hatte schon mal welche daraus gestrickt und sie haben gute Dienste geleistet - vor allem wenn sie erst gewaschen und gefilzt sind. Nun kann ich die alten entsorgen und diese in die Kueche haengen.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful projects, Anke.
    You certainly have a full (and wonderful!) life.
    Enjoy the week

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, there is nothing better than fresh baked bread hot from the oven, yum.
    I love your pot holders, I need to make some for here, mine are in bad shape.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bread looks yummy! I'm a big fan of bread! :)
    I am trying to get back to my knitting. I worked for a bit yesterday but our weather has been so divine that I just want to be outside. My quilt has been on the back burner. I think I have too many things going. I will keep collecting the pattern for each square and work on it as I can though. :) Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors in that hat! I bet that bread tasted delicious. Egg bread is one of my favorite ones to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Handmade is the best, and I love all that you have been making. The bread looks delicious! And love the pop of colour of your new table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just wondering the other day if you still did spinning. The potholders are so pretty...and doesn't the fact that you made it from scratch...start to finish...just give you a warm cozy feeling of accomplishment?

    Love your table runner (and the candle holder!

    That bread looks awesome, Anke! Love the new hat!

    Have a wonderful week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I lost my comment. The bread looks delicious. I don't remember that you spun, do you still? I love that hat pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Things made bu hand are the very best, especially the bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many lovely handmade things. I agree that they are the best :) Your bread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete