Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, May 8, 2014

From the kitchen...

Joining Heather for my first kitchen blog hop.
Hummus with roasted (and pickled) bell peppers. The bell peppers don't look so pretty, but the combination was really good!
Ich mache zum ersten Mal bei Heather's "kitchen blog hop" mit:
Hummus mit Paprika. Die Paprika habe ich letztes Jahr eingemacht, sieht zwar nicht so toll aus, war aber lecker.
 Homemade salad dressing with radishes and green onions from the garden.
Salatsosse mit Radieschen und Lauchzwiebeln aus dem Garten.
 Chopping parsley
Petersilie
 Mushrooms, ready to go on the grill.
Pilze die auf den Grill warten.
 Quinoa taboule

 Right now there's almost always a bowl of fresh fruit in the fridge.
Momentan haben wir fast immer eine Schuessel mit frischem Obst im Kuehlschrank.
 Lunch. Fresh fruit and a smoothie. Recipe from Dianna. :-) It is very good. The only thing I changed was using peanut butter instead of almond and adding chia seeds to the shake.
Mein Mittagessen. Frisches Obst und einen selbstgemachten smoothie. Das Rezept stammt von Dianna und ist lecker und gesund. Ich habe anstatt Mandelbutter Erdnussbutter genommen und "chia seeds" dazu getan.
 Washing and drying eggshells so they can be fed back to the chickens.
Die Eierschalen sind gewaschen, und wenn sie trocken sind bekommen sie die Huehner wieder zu fressen. Macht die Schalen haerter...
 Getting ready to bake old fashioned oatmeal -raisin-walnut cookies for teacher appreciation.
Hier war ich dabei Haferflocken-Rosinen-Walnus Plaetzchen fuer die Lehrer zu backen.

15 comments:

  1. Interesting about the egg shells, I hadn't thought of that before.
    I think you and I would be very comfortable in each other's kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use the crushed egg shell instead of buying oyster shells. Works really well and best of all, its free! :-)

      Delete
  2. Mushrooms on the grill are so delicious! I never heard of re-using the egg shells to feed to the chickens. Great way to recycle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to eat the quinoa taboule right now. It looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer at your table! I love how ingredients and preparations change over the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea with the eggshells. I use ours for my tomatoes. Everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the lovely visit.. Everything looks wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks great! How great to be harvesting food from your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could eat hummus and eggs every single day. I could easily visit you and be happy with the foods you prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always something good happening in your kitchen. I LOVE LOVE LOV Quinoa taboule too!!
    I had no idea chickens ate egg shells….and here I only 'walk' on them. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a great thing- all that delicious and healthy food.
    I am very much wanting to join this next week if I can get my act together.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anke, those mushrooms and quiona taboule are making my mouth water! Everything looks so good...but those two especially jump off the computer screen at me! Do you have a recipe that you'd share for the quiona taboule? ;) And I'm so glad you enjoyed the smoothie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna, the taboule is really easy to make. I cook 1 cup quinoa and let it come to room temperature. (Makes a little over 2 cups) To this I add:
      about 1/4 tsp pepper
      1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
      1/4 cup olive oil
      1/2 cup lemon juice
      1 tbs fresh or 1/2 tsp dried basil
      1 garlic clove, pressed
      2 tbs fresh or 1 tsp dried mint
      about 1/2 cup chopped scallions
      about 1 cup chopped parsley (I really don't measure these, just use what feels right)
      1/2 cucumber cut into chunks
      enough tomatoes to make you happy :-)
      Mix well and chill for at least an hour.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful--thanks for sharing!
      Erin

      Delete
  12. Looks like a lot of FINE food being prepped. I've always loved a fresh fruit salad. So refreshing on warm days. (Of which I have yet to see this year!)

    ReplyDelete