Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, January 10, 2013

January harvest

Our weather has actually warmed up again, but for a week we had night time temps in the 20's.
Momentan ist es bei uns wieder relativ "warm", aber wir hatten einige Naechte mit Minustemperaturen.




 This doesn't seem to faze the carrots I left in the ground - we're still harvesting them. And they are delicious!! :-)
Das scheint diese Karotten aber nicht zu stoeren, denn ich kann noch immer welche ernten. Und lecker sind sie noch dazu!! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful carrots! We are still harvesting them here, too, along with swiss chard, kale and broccoli. I have kept the hoop houses covered and even after lows of 5 and highs of 20, they are still okay. I think it must be because we have deep raised beds that hold warmth. Isn't it fun to have your own fresh carrots in January?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Especially since I didn't expect them to do well...

      Delete
  2. those carrots look great! Mine always look so awful, but I keep trying, one day I will find the best variety for my area LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, we had a great harvest two years ago, and last year was a total carrot failure. :-( These were sown in the fall and honestly I didn't expect too much. Maybe that's the key... ;-)

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous bouquet of carrots! I am putting my garden in the ground tomorrow. I'm only afraid it is too hot here still. OYE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your carrots are so lovely, Anke! Carroll dug some of ours on Sunday...our temps were in the 60's over the weekend. The carrots are so sweet...love having something fresh from the garden this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete