Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Yarn along

On my needles for the yarn along - not a thing. Well, not yet anyway... I've printed out the pattern for the Wingspan, picked out the yarn, I just need to cast on - which is what I plan on doing tonight. 
I started reading "Esther's Pillow" by Marlin Fitzwater. The book is based on a true story that the author learned from his dying father. Margaret Chambers is a school teacher in 1911 and returns home to teach in a one-room schoolhouse. Some of the (small town) citizens feel threatened  by her and feel she needs to be put in her place. The men devise a plan to chase Margaret from the county forever, but fueled by alcohol and the shame of their own desires, their plan soon spins out of control...
Auf meinen Nadeln fuer diesen yarn along - gar nichts... D.h. noch nichts, denn die Anleitung fuer den Wingspan habe ich mir schon ausgedruckt, die Wolle ausgesucht, ich muss nur noch anschlagen - was ich mir fuer heute Abend vorgenommen habe.
Ich habe die Tage mit dem Buch "Esther's Pillow" by Marlin Fitzwater angefangen. Das Buch basiert auf einer wahren Geschichte die der Author von seinem sterbenden Vater erfuhr. Es handelt sich in dem Buch um Margaret Chambers, einer Lehrerin die in 1911 wieder in ihre Heimat zurueck zog um dort zu unterrichten. Einige der Maenner in der Kleinstadt fanden das Margaret zu intelligent und klug war und beschlossen sie aus der Stadt zu vertreiben. Angetrieben von Alkohol und ihren eigenen Gefuehlen, geriet der Plan schnell ausser Kontrolle...
The socks I showed for last weeks yarn along were finished, are wrapped and ready to be given away.
Die Socken die ich letzte Woche beim yarn along gezeigt hatte sind fertig, eingepackt und koennen nun verschenkt werden.
 Two more "Calorimetry's" are done as well - they're a great way to use up leftover yarn!
Ich habe noch zwei "Calorimetry's gestrickt - eine tolle Art und Weise Wollreste zu verarbeiten!



17 comments:

  1. You are going to love Wingspan!
    I knit one for my sister as a gift, making
    it a little longer and now I want to
    knit myself one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your caliometry, have had that pattern in my queue for the longest time.
    Look forward to seeing the wingspan.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little tag you have around those socks is the best! And I think I'm going to have to whip up a caliometry for myself - I need something warm for my ears - yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Anke, Du wirst den Wingspan lieben!!!!
    Deine Socken sehen toll aus und sooo süß verpackt. Gibt es das Kärtchen irgendwo als Vorlage zum ausdrucken? Das würde ich auch gerne an meine Geschenke machen, tolle Idee!
    Wow und der rötliche Schal ist ein Traum...bin hin und weg von der Farbe. Viel Spass weiterhin und viele liebe Grüße von hier,
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Marion,
      ich glaube auch, dass mir der Wingspan gefallen wird. Bin schon mal gespannt wie es sich strickt... Das Etikett habe ich mit einem Stempel von Stampin up gemacht - habe mir extra das Set gekauft. ;-) Die Calorimetry sind beide aus Restwolle gestrickt, ist echt ein super leichter Weg Reste zu verbrauchen.
      Liebe Gruesse!

      Delete
  5. love the way you packaged the socks, makes them special. I love that headband pattern, it makes a great gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will enjoy knitting the wingspan. I've made two, and the pattern is a very satisfying knit. I want to make a Calorimetry, too for myself. There's just not enough time! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOoo, that book sounds scary! Reminds me a little bit of Christy by Catherine Marshall. Your wingspan is going to be gorgeous in that colorful yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I might need to find that book. thanks for sharing. love the socks and the way they are wrapped! I think you'll love knitting wingspan...I know I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh the yarn you've picked out for your Wingspan looks wonderful - I'm looking forward to seeing it knitted up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the wrapping on your socks is very cute! The book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a perfect tag for the gift socks! Where did you find it? I love the Calorimetries! I've been wanting a simple, quick for myself amid all the baby knitting and you've inspired me! Plus, from your photo, it looks like the pattern will work nicely with some "fun" multicolored yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the knitting projects...looking forward to seeing the wingspan when it is completed. The blue socks worked up so nicely. And I'm still amazed at the versatility of calorimetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dianna! I was able to wear it for the first time the other day and it kept my head and ears nice and warm.

      Delete
  13. Here I am working on the same sweater I was a month ago LOL, you are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I knit so I don't kill people. ;-)

      Delete
  14. Hi,you had left a nice comment on my blog for Yarn along, thanks! I am new to this blog party and I guess that I should have added a book to my photo. Next week. BTW, my parents were from Hamburg. They came over to the states after they were married.

    I also have Wingspan printed out with a ball of yarn, ready to go. Maybe it will be next.

    ReplyDelete