Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Yarn along

The race is on... The lavinia dress is getting close to being finished and my goal is to be done with it way before September 27th. Why? That's the day I'm going in for "trigger finger release" surgery and I really want the dress to be finished by then. Shouldn't be a problem though, I only have 10 rows of pattern and 20 rows of the ruffle left to knit. 
A few weeks back I picked up "The Hobbit" at a thrift store and started reading it about a week ago. I do like the book, but like all Tolkien books, I really have to be in the mood to read it.
Funny side note about the book: I bought it at a (really don't remember which one) thrift store for 50 cents. Once I started reading it, I realized whoever read it before me had bent down the corners as bookmarks. There were quite a few bent down corners, so I got to "unbend" them. Guess what I found then? There were $40 stashed in between the pages of the book!! So not only did I get the book for free, it made me $ 39.50. :-)
Mit meinem Lavinia Kleid geht es nun zum Endspurt. Mein Ziel ist es das Kleid noch vor dem 27. September fertig zu haben. Warum? Am 27 September werde ich am Daumen operiert und da ich nicht weiss wie lange ich danach nicht stricken kann, soll das Kleid fertig sein. Duerfte aber kein Problem sein. Ich habe nur noch 10 Reihen vom letzten Mustersatz und 20 Reihen Ruesche zu stricken. 
Vor ein paar Wochen habe ich das Buch "The Hobbit" in einem second hand Laden gekauft. Mir gefaellt das Buch, aber wie mit all den Tolkien Buechern, muss ich in der richtigen Stimmung sein um es zu lesen.
Lustige Geschichte: Ich habe das Buch wie gesagt in einem second hand Laden (weiss nicht einmal mehr welchen) fuer 50 Cent gekauft. Als ich angefangen habe es zu lesen, ist mir aufgefallen, dass wer auch immer es vor mir gelesen hat lauter Eselsohren als Lesezeichen reingeknickt hatte. Ich also ran um die zu beseitigen und dabei habe ich $ 40 im Buch gefunden!! Nicht nur, dass ich das Buch umsonst bekam, ich habe $ 39.50 daran verdient. :-)
What are you reading and knitting? Go check out Ginny's blog for more wonderful projects and book tips.
Was lest ihr denn gerade und was habt ihr auf den Nadeln? Schaut mal bei Ginny vorbei fuer tolle Projekte und Buch Tips.

17 comments:

  1. First good luck on your surgery!

    Money must b falling from heaven, yesterday my husband was in the woods squirrel hunting and found $2 rolled up.

    I am reading Fifty Shades Freed . . I'm off now to see if it has any pages turned down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool on the money, wish I would find some cash in some of my books ;-) I haven't read the hobbit, but probably should because I liked Lord of the Rings so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the deadline, the dress is looking great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha , das ist ja toll mit dem Buch! Ich bin ein ganz großer Tolkin Fan, und warte zur Zeit ganz verrücht auf Weihnachten dann gibt es den kleinen Hobbit im Kino.
    Mein Mann ist inzwischen auch schon infiziert und hat das Buch vor 6 Wochen gelesen. Ich bin gerade dabei es nocheinmal zu lesen. Das letzte mal gelesen habe ich es vor 37 Jahren. Und es ist immer noch toll !
    Tschüss
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something about the Hobbit that I still enjoy more than the Lord of the Rings books. Maybe its because it was read to me as a child by my favorite aunt. How fantastic about the hidden money! Good luck finishing the dress and with your surgery. Will the recovery be long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should take about one week to get the stitches out. Not too bad...

      Delete
  6. That is SO funny!!!! You made money while shopping....I must let my husband know that shopping isn't always bad! LOL
    So, this surgery?? How invasive is it? What is your recovery time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, the surgery will be less invasive than the carpal tunnel surgery I had. A fairly small incision at the base of the thumb and only local anesthesia. I can go back to work the next day, just have to be very careful with my hand. Stitches come out on the 8th.

      Delete
  7. Wow - that is quite incredible! I find alsorts of interesting things inside my thrifted books but never cash, yet. I shall live in hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hallo liebe Anke,
    danke für Dein Kompliment, ich freu' mich sehr!

    Deine Lavinia schaffst Du bis zum 27.09., da bin ich mir sicher und ich wünsche gutes Gelingen für die OP!

    ich bin noch längst nicht so weit wie Du, aber ich bleibe dran und hoffe, sie wird zum ersten Frost fertig, denn die ersten Temperaturstürze sind schon da -heute morgen +10Grad auf der Terrasse- brrrrrr, kalt!

    einen lieben Gruß schickt Dir Traudi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can hardly wait to see the finished dress! I know it will be gorgeous...and I am hoping you are going to model it for us. That was SOME bargain you got on the book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing about the book! Good luck on the surgery recovery, I know it will be hard to step away from the needles :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the money and good luck in your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A treasure in a book about that "precious" treasure of a ring....LOL That is great! My mom had that surgery so I send wishes for a speedy recovery to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky you! I'm looking forward to seeing your dress, its going to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lucky find at the thrift store :) The dress will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It pays to read! :-) Please pardon the pun. Hope everything goes well for your surgery.

    ReplyDelete