Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tomatoes...

There are not that many tomato plants in the garden anymore, but luckily there are still plenty of tomatoes on them. 
Yesterday I went out and picked a whole bunch and besides turning some into a tomato salad,  I roasted a cookie sheet full of them.  It's quite simple. I half or quarter the tomatoes, add a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and toss a few garlic cloves, fresh rosemary and thyme on there. Roast at 400 for about 25 minutes.
In unserem Garten sind mittlerweile nicht mehr allzu viele Tomatenpflanzen, aber wir koennen trotzdem noch immer genuegend Tomaten ernten. 
Gestern habe ich einen Teil davon zu Tomatensalat gemacht und einen Teil im Ofen geroested. Geht ganz einfach. Die Tomaten je nach Groesse halbieren oder vierteln, ein bissl Olivenoel darueber giessen und mit Salz und Pfeffer wuerzen. Hierzu gebe ich dann noch ein paar Knoblauchzehen, frischen Thymian und Rosmarien. Das Ganze dann bei 200 Grad fuer 25 Minuten in den Ofen.
 After 25 minutes in the oven, this is what it looks like. I discard the herbs, slip the skins of the tomatoes and puree the rest.
Nach 25 Minuten im Ofen sieht das dann so aus. Ich werfe die Kraeuter weg, schaele die Tomaten und pueriere alles.
 Voila! Two jars of roasted tomato sauce ready for the freezer. I like to add the sauce to stews, roasts or turn them into pizza sauce by cooking it down further. Easy peasy...
Voila! Zwei Glaeser Tomatensauce die nun in die Tiefkuehltruhe wandern koennen. Ich verwende die Sauce gerne fuer Gulasch, Braten oder auch Pizza. Hierzu wird sie aber noch etwas laenger gekoechelt und besser gewuerzt. Kinderleicht und schnell gemacht...
 In the dining room we've got a whole bunch of tomatoes still ripening. Why are they ripening inside instead of outside? We've had a lot of rain which caused some to split and I've noticed a lot of bugs out there as well. Since tomato season is almost over, I'm not willing to battle them anymore so I just pick the tomatoes green.
Im Esszimmer haben wir noch 'ne ganze Menge Tomaten die langsam reifen. Warum habe ich sie gruen geernted? Wir hatten soviel Regen, dass viele aufgeplatzt sind und ausserdem habe ich eine Menge Kaefer in den Pflanzen entdeckt. Nachdem die Tomaten Saison ehe fast vorbei ist, habe ich einfach keine Lust mehr mich mit den Kaefern zu befassen und habe die gruenen Tomaten gepflueckt.
Totally tomato unrelated... I made this wreath for the front door today. :-)
Does it look like a fall wreath to you? 
Hat ueberhaupt nichts mit Tomaten zu tun... Heute habe ich diesen Kranz fuer die Haustuere gemacht. :-)
Findet ihr, dass er herbstlich genug aussieht?

7 comments:

  1. I've noticed a lot of splitting on my toms this year--I think that long droughty period and now lots of rain is making them have a "growth spurt". I get that way with cookies=LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that way with cookies, too Sue. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Your tomatoes are so pretty, Anke...even the green ones. I bet they made some really rich thick sauce. And yes, your wreath does look like fall! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wreath is adorable!!! I roast tomatoes, but we eat them like that. I never thought to save them!!! Picking them green is so darn smart, I'll have to remember that in the spring.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, my kids love tomatoes, but NEVER cooked. :-( The only way they'll eat them is if they are pureed like this, and they don't really know they're in the food. ;-)

      Delete
  4. That's awesome you are still getting so many tomatoes! This year since I ripped them out I don't have to deal with the table full of green ones, LOL. That wreath is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete