Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Lavinia dress is done!!

I finished the dress two days ago and washed and blocked it. Even before that, I had the sneaking suspicion that the dress would be too big. Which didn't keep me from continuing to knit it, I know... 
Anyway, once the dress was dry, I tried it on and it was a bit "sack like". Since I'd been worrying about that for a while, I had a plan - I was going to alter the dress! At first I thought I must have lost my mind, altering (as in CUTTING UP) my hand knitted dress. I did some research though (thank you www!) and decided to go for it. 
Here's the mumu version of the dress...
Das Lavinia Kleid wurde vor zwei Tagen fertig und ich habe es gewaschen und zum Trocknen hingelegt. Ich hatte schon vorher das Gefuehl, dass das Kleid zu gross werden wuerde (was mich aber nicht vom weiterstricken abgehalten hat) und nach dem Trocknen hatte sich das leider auch bestaetigt. Das Kleid hing an mir dran wie ein Sack... Nachdem ich mir schon waehrend des Strickens Gedanken darueber gemacht hatte, habe ich einfach beschlossen das Kleid abzuaendern! Zuerst dachte ich ja ich hab sie nicht mehr alle (abaendern heisst ja schliesslich mein selbstgestricktes Kleid zu VERSCHNEIDEN), aber nachdem ich mehr darueber nachgelesen habe (Danke www!), habe ich beschlossen es zu wagen.
Hier die Sack Version des Kleides...
 ... and here it is after. Much more fitted and so much better. To alter it, I put the dress on inside out, pinned it and then sewed it. To make sure it would not unravel, I went over every seam several times and also zigzagged over the rough edges several times. The hardest part was actually cutting the dress, but then I figured it's like ripping off a band-aid - the faster the better.
... und hier die abgeaenderte Version. Passt nun viel besser, ich habe es sogar ein bisschen tailliert! Um das Kleid zu aendern, habe ich es links herum angezogen, abgesteckt und danach genaeht. Um auf # sicher zu gehen, dass sich das Kleid nicht auftrennt (war mein groesster Horror) habe ich jede Naht mehrmals genaeht - das selbe fuer den Zickzack Stich. Am schwersten ist es mir gefallen in das Kleid zu schneiden. Ich hab's dann aber wie beim Pflaster abreissen gemacht - schnell ist einfacher!

 Hannah getting all "artsy- fartsy" taking pictures. :-) For this one she was actually laying on the floor...
Hannah hat von allen moeglichen Postitionen aus Bilder gemacht, fuer dieses lag sie am Boden... :-)

So, what do you think about the dress?
Was sagt ihr nun zu meinem Kleid? Gut geworden, oder nicht?

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can't believe you made it! The design is really neat, and I think it looks really great after you cut it too. That took a lot of guts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sweating bullets while cutting into it Ulrike... Thank you so much for the sweet Birthday card! It arrived here yesterday, perfect timing. :-)

      Delete
  2. It looks fantastic. You're so slim, you can pull off a dress like that and look fabulous. The pattern is great, good job. (Hannah good job on photos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lois, now I just need it to cool down enough to wear it.

      Delete
  3. traumhaft schön geworden, liebe anke. wenn ich deine figur hätte, würde ich mir auch ein solches stricken. die farbe ist übrigens genau nach meinem geschmack. viel freude daran.
    alles liebe, petra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschoen Petra. Ich bin mit dem Kleid und der Farbe auch sehr zufrieden.

      Delete
  4. You are looking so great---
    Breathtaking.....what a great work of knitting....
    Darf ich mir deine strahlenden Fotos für die Lavinia Galerie mitnehmen...
    Ganz herzliche Grüße Anett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschoen Anett! Das Kompliment ist aber deines, denn ohne deine super tolle Anleitung haette ich mich nie an das Kleid heran getraut! Gerne darfst du die die Fotos fuer die Galerie mitnehmen.
      Viele liebe Gruesse!

      Delete
  5. sieht echt klasse aus, dein neues Kleid,es steht dir echt gut,viel Spaß beim tragen.
    liebe grüße Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I am beyond impressed. That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Anke! It is absolutely gorgeous. You did a fantastic job with the altering. I don't know if I could have stood to cut on something I'd worked so hard on or not...but it certainly paid off for you! And tell Hannah she did great photography work! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit nerve wrecking, but I think it turned out well. I'll pass the compliments on to Hannah. :-)

      Delete
  8. Sieht jetzt super aus !
    Aber wenn Du vorher nachgemessen hättest, hättest Du Dir viel Wolle sparen können....
    Kompliment zu dieser aufwändigen Strickarbeit !
    LG Carola

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE this! You are so darn clever and talented...I'm so glad you ripped the band aid off like that too. :)
    I am smitten like a kitten with it; gorgeous.
    YOU are looking so wonderful Anke!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I am in awe - so much work!! It looks fabulous. I think altering the finished product was the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful!!! You are amazing! So how long did that take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I'm not really sure... My guess would be a around 2 month...

      Delete
  12. Hallo liebe Anke,
    bin vor lauter LaviniaStricken noch gar nicht dazu gekommen, Deine großartige Lavinia zu bewundern.
    Hach, ist die wunderschön und in ganz lang, was für eine tolle Arbeit, bin stark beeindruckt!!!

    dankeschön für Dein Kompliment im Drosselgarten
    herzlichst Traudi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Anke....that dress is gorgeous!!! Great job! Sorry.....just catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The perfect gay sizegenetics gets underway with the perfect male sizegenetics who will perform this for you. Ideally you should make it a point that you will get a suitable guy for ones job so that you choose to commonly are not disappointed because of the results. The great thing about hiring someone from an agency to give you a male sizegenetics is you get to choose who you want for your job. There's photos that you can take a peek at that show the men who will be performing the services and what they charge. You'll take your pick from those for which you like after you analyze this website along with photos.
    http://buysizegeneticsonline.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete