Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Yarn along

Knitting and reading along with Ginny...
I started knitting another pair of socks, pattern courtesy of the wonderful "In 80 socks around the world" magazine. The pattern is from Ireland section of the magazine, and the yarn belonged to my grandmother. It is really no fancy yarn at all, but the fact that it used to be hers means a lot to me.
I am about half way into "The Friday Night Knitting Club" and I'm really enjoying the story. It would be a great read even for non knitters.
Es ist wieder Zeit fuer Ginny's woechentlichen "yarn along"...
Vor ein paar Tagen habe ich das zweite Paar Socken aus dem tollen Heft "In 80 Socken um die Welt" angefangen. (Nochmals Dankeschoen Marion!!) Diese Socken sind aus dem Irland Teil und werden in einem Strukturmuster gestrickt. Die Wolle war von meiner Oma, ist eigentlich ganz einfache Wolle, aber da sie von ihr ist, bedeutet sie mir sehr viel.
Mit dem Buch habe ich auch vor einigen Tagen angefangen und ich kann es nur weiter empfehlen. Auch fuer "Nichtstricker" waere es ein gutes Buch. :-)
These are the socks I was working on last week. I really wasn't sure about the yarn, but I adore the color change now. Now it just needs to get colder... ;-)
Dies sind die Socken an denen ich letzte Woche gearbeitet hatte. Am Anfang war ich mir wegen der Farbe nicht so sicher, aber nur gefaellt sie mir sehr gut. Jetzt muss es nur noch kuehler werden... ;-)

12 comments:

  1. Boah, das sind mal tolle Socken, die Farben sind wunderschoen und machen Lust auf Herbst - auch wenn ich sehr froh bin dass es heute mal richtig sonnig und warm ist hier =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not think of anything better than knitting with yarn from your grandmother, what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your socks turned out beautiful and that book is a good one. Have you read The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood? That's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue socks you are now working on will, I predict, become your favorite pair due to the fact that the yarn was your grandma's. Somehow just being able to hold something that we know they once held in their own hands helps us continue to feel connected to them. I speak from experience.

    Hugs, Anke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Dianna. :-)

      Delete
  5. Ahh, excellent socks ... and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that blue color in the yarn, and that's so cool that it was your grandma's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those will be extra special because of the memories of the yarn.
    Very nice. But I think we need a bit cooler weather indeed!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are the cutest socks EVER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the color change in the socks and I agree-bring on the cold weather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great socks! I really enjoyed that book as well, there is a sequel too which is also pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your colour changing socks! I've seen that book before and have been tempted to check it out-I wasn't sure if it would satisfy my knitting book crave...maybe i'll take a look at it again!

    ReplyDelete