Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, July 19, 2012

A "new" little bench...

Last Saturday a friend and I were walking early in the morning, when we spotted a piano and this little bench sitting on the curb. I had absolutely no need for the piano, but I thought I could find a spot somewhere in the house for the little bench. So after we got through walking I went and took it home with me. 
The first picture is what it looked like after I already put filler into some holes it had in the front.
Vergangenen Samstag als eine Freundin und ich laufen waren, haben wir ein Klavier und diese Bank auf dem Gehsteig stehen sehn. Das Klavier konnte ich nicht gebrauchen, aber ich dachte fuer die Bank koennte ich Verwendung haben. Nachdem wir mit laufen fertig waren, bin ich also zurueck gefahren und habe die Bank mit nach hause genommen
Die Bank hatte vorne in der Klappe einige Loecher und hier hatte ich sie schon verspachtelt.
 The bottom of the bench was falling off, so I nailed it back in place. (The bottom is definitely not original, it was obviously already replaced.) Now it's nice and sturdy.
Der Boden der Bank hing an manchen Stellen weg und ich musste ihn nur wieder richtig fest nageln. (Der Boden ist definitiv nicht orginal.) Jetzt ist die Bank richtig stabil.
 It really is a decent size bench...
Die Groesse der Bank ist ideal...
 This is what it looked like after sanding. Needless to say, sanding something in the blazing hot sun is not a lot of fun...
So sah die Bank nach dem Abschleifen aus. Ich muss es bestimmt keinem sagen wie uebel es ist etwas bei ueber 30 Grad abzuschleifen...
 And here is the finished bench in the dining room. It now holds all our cloth napkins and I don't have to dig for them in drawers anymore. :-)
Und hier ist nun die fertige Bank im Esszimmer. In der Bank sind unsere Stoffservietten und ich muss nicht mehr in Schubfaechern nach ihnen wuehlen. :-)
 I think it turned out pretty well and all it cost us was some spray paint.
Ich finde die Bank ist ganz gut geworden und ausser Lack hat sie uns nichts gekostet.
 When I first picked it up, it was with the intention of turning it into a plant stand. Now that the bench is finished, I like it better for storage, maybe even seating. Maybe I should sew a cushion for the top...
Als ich die Bank mit nach hause brachte, dachte ich eigentlich, dass ich Pflanzen darauf stellen wuerde. Jetzt finde ich sie so viel praktischer. Vielleicht naehe ich sogar ein passendes Kissen fuer die Bank...

15 comments:

  1. This stuff fascinates me. You did a fantastic job and I love that this bench has a whole new life and didn't end up in some landfill somewhere.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great piece you turned this curbside find into, Anke! Love all of these creative ideas that run through your head and come out as beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thrilled when I saw the bench sitting on the curb. Thank you for your kind words Dianna.

      Delete
  3. Anke, a little cushion for the top would be very cute! A nicely revamped piano bench does make a good source of extra seating when chairs are scarce and company is at maximum. We used ours for a similar purpose in California. ~ Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think extra seating is what it will be used for Lynda. Now I need to figure out what kind of cushion to make for it.

      Delete
  4. Turned out beautiful. I think it will be very useful. If you make a cushion, be sure to let us see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If (or when) I make a cushion, I'll make sure to show pictures.

      Delete
  5. Wow-nice find. And I think using it for seating is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always read about people finding things on the curb, so I was beyond thrilled to actually find something decent myself.

      Delete
  6. as usual, you have such good ideas, and this one turned out great. good job, Anke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lois. Not all of my ideas are good ones though... ;-)

      Delete
  7. My first thought was seed catalog storage LOL, what a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, seed catalog storage... that would have been a great idea... :-)

      Delete
  8. This is so cute...YOU are so clever. I love it for your napkins...and I just love that YOU also use cloth napkins! Trash to treasure; perfect.

    ReplyDelete