Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Another random post...

I'm kind of "stealing" or borrowing Mark's idea. He does a monthly photo dump (which I love) and even though mine is only a somewhat weekly photo dump, I need to give credit, where credit is due. (Mark also takes way, way better pictures!!)
About two weeks ago Greg decided to built a bigger and nicer fire pit for the backyard. The old one was really just some bricks laid in a circle and every time he mowed everything shifted and moved.
Die Idee fuer diese Oktober "photo dump" stammt von Mark. Er macht das einmal im Monat (ich schaue immer gerne bei ihm vorbei) und obwohl meines nur eine woechentliche "photo dump" ist, muss ich ihm auf jeden Fall Kredit fuer die Idee geben. (Seine Photos sind auch viel, viel besser als meine!!)
Vor ca. zwei Wochen hatte Greg beschlossen eine groessere und schoenere Feuerstelle fuer den Garten zu bauen. Die alte Feuerstelle waren eigentlich nur Steine die er im Kreis gelegt hatte, und jedesmal wenn er Rasen gemaeht hat, ist alles verrutscht.
The fire pit is almost finished, he just wants to dig out the inside a little bit. He also plans on adding a border around the fire pit, but that will probably not happen until next year.
Die Feuerstelle ist fast fertig, Greg will sie nur noch innen drin etwas tiefer machen. Aussen herum sollen dann auch noch Steine gelegt werden, aber das passiert wahrscheinlich erst naechstes Jahr.
We had our first frost last weekend and I was just glad that we had the trees planted already. We got one paperbark maple and one pansy red-bud tree. Now we'll just have to wait about 20 years to have a nice shady front yard again. ;-)
Letztes Wochenende hatten wir unseren ersten Frost und ich war heilfroh, dass wir die neuen Baeume schon gepflanzt hatten. Wir haben einen Ahorn und einen "Redbud" Baum genommen, jetzt muessen wir nur noch 20 Jahre Geduld haben bis wir wieder einen schattigen Vorgarten haben. ;-)
I started cleaning up the piles of mulch leftover from the stump grinding. It is backbreaking work and so far I only have two of the four piles done. We plan on getting it all done this weekend if the weather cooperates. Hopefully we won't run out of places to put the mulch. Anybody need any??
Ich habe angefangen die Baum/Wurzelreste aus dem Vorgarten zu verraeumen. Es ist die reinste Schwerarbeit und bis jetzt habe ich erst zwei von den vier Haufen beseitigt. Wenn das Wetter passt wollen wir den Rest am Wochenende machen, hoffentlich finden wir noch Platz dafuer. 

Another weekend chore... At least I don't have to rake them in the front yard anymore...
Noch etwas das am Wochenende erledigt werden muss... Zumindest haben wir im Vorgarten keine Tannennadeln mehr...
The clematis decided to give us one last show. It's so nice to still have a little bit of color in the garden.
Die Klematis hat beschlossen noch einmal fuer uns zu bluehen. Ist so schoen zu dieser Jahreszeit noch etwas Farbe im Garten zu haben.
The first batch of garlic has already sprouted. Guess I should pull the leeks now that I'm looking at this photo.
Die ersten Knoblauchzehen die ich gepflanzt hatte sind schon fleissig am wachsen. Jetzt wo ich das Bild sehe, sollte ich wohl den Lauch ernten.
Made a big batch of taco soup the other night. Really good on a cold and rainy day, plus it lasted for two days. :-)
Habe die Tage einen grossen Topf Taco Suppe gemacht. Richtig lecker an kalten und verregneten Tagen, ausserdem hat es uns fuer zwei Tage gereicht. :-)
The shalom was finished last weekend. Since it has been cooler here I already got to wear it and it is super warm and cozy. Might have to knit another one in a different color.
Die Shalom Jacke habe ich letztes Wochenende fertig gestrickt und da es hier auch schon kaelter ist, konnte ich sie schon einmal anziehen. Sie ist kuschelig warm und weich, vielleicht stricke ich noch einmal eine in einer anderen Farbe.

I'm not sure if Leslie has gotten her package yet, but these are the goodies I sent to her. I made some cards for her, knitted and felted a potholder, added some homemade soap and some cute little pumpkin candles. I hope she likes it all.
Ich bin mir nicht sicher ob Leslie ihr Paeckchen schon bekommen hat, aber dies sind die Sachen die ich ihr geschickt habe. Ich habe ihr einige Karten gebastelt, einen Topflappen gestrickt und gefilzt, eine selbstgemachte Seife dazu und ein paar niedliche Kuerbiskerzen. Ich hoffe es gefaellt ihr alles.

12 comments:

  1. You either pull those leeks , or I'M going to come and make a pot of potato/leek soup out of them!
    :)

    The shalom jacket turned out beautifully. You should be most proud to wear that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your shalom jacket! The taco soup sounds yummy for today as we are cloudy with a little bit of rain. Leslie has a great package going to her, and she is so sweet!, I'm sure she will enjoy it.
    I've been wanting a fire pit as all we have is a little cast iron one, and hubby likes building big fires. Your yard looks so nice and clean. Looking out my window I see tons of leaves, branches, etc., but it will have to wait since the minute I raked it up there is more on the ground!
    Are you having any trouble with blogger? I have been trying to upload from Picassa, but it is being the biggest pain apparently to quite a few out there in blog land. Do you use something like that? I think I need to find another photo edit mainly so I can crop those bad pics of me!!
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those leeks surely do look tempting, Anke! Think I am going to put them on my grocery list this time and make that wonderful casserole of yours. I don't know how I missed getting in my request for them to be planted in our garden.

    Greg's fire pit looks so nice. He's a hard worker.

    I'm guessing that was a heavy frost you had in the pictures of your newly planted trees! WOW! That looks like as much as we've had on any given morning.

    LOVE that shalom, Friend! It's gorgeous!

    You do such nice giveaways, Anke. I know Leslie will love everything...especially your cards and soap! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did receive the package! Just today! Thank you so very much, Anke:) I love all the beautiful homemade cards and that soap smells soooo good:)The colors in the potholder are so nice and I just love it! The pumpkin candles are just so cute! Thank you for everythingxxx
    I adore red bud trees! Just in case you didn't know it, the red bud flowers are well loved by the bees and are edible for us also:)lol!
    That is a very nice firepit. So much fun to have a fire on a chilly nite and enjoy s'mores or hotdogs:)
    The shalom is gorgeous and nice garden things also:) YUM to taco soup! thanks again Anke! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A firepit??? Awesome....this will be a great memory maker for your family. I'll bring the marshmallows.
    Yes, I need mulch. Bring it all please.
    Love the Shalom....so cute!!! IS taco soup like chili??? But thinner maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, potato leek soup sounds awesome right now! I might be the only one eating it, but I'm going to search for a recipe.
    Ulrike, I have not had any problems (knock on wood) uploading photos. But then again, I just post them "as is" and don't really do anything to them. I bet there are no bad pictures of you!
    Thank you Dianna for the kind words! Greg really did work hard on that firepit and I can't wait to use it for the first time.
    Leslie, I'm so glad you received the package and I didn't spoil the surprise. I had no idea the redbud flowers were edible. What do you do with them? I just always loved how beautiful they look in the spring and wanted one in our front yard. :-)
    Yes Suz bring the marshmallows, and while you're here we'll hook you up with mulch. I guess taco soup is kind of like chili, except it has taco seasoning instead of chili seasoning. The recipe I used called for hominy, but I've seen others that call for corn. There's also pinto beans and kidney beans in there. Served with whole wheat tortillas - yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would kill for that taco soup. I should really eat a big meal before I start my blogging rounds. It seems that every blog I visit, someone is cooking something. No wonder I'm so fat. I should dump you all and visit exercise blogs.
    Greg did a good job on that pit. You should keep him!
    And I'm so glad that you decided to do a photo dump too. I really think it's a fun way to show photos that you wouldn't normally post.
    Great job!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had just came home and found the package, anke, then came to the computer to thank you and saw your post:) lol! so no, you didn't spoil the surprise:) thanks again! i too just love red bud trees for their beauty, but they are also fun cause you can just nibble their flowers, make red bud flower jelly or all sorts of other things. just like any other edible flower:) oh course, just enjoying their beautiful flowers with our eyes, or watching the bees buzz all over is the best! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hai Anke,

    *FlüstermodusAN*
    sind die pinken Ts wohl auch bei Euch unterwechs ???*Flüstermodusaus*
    Meine Moral von der Geschichte: Wenn etwas funktioniert, dann RÜHR ES NIE NICHT AN !
    :-)

    Euere Feuerstelle sieht klasse aus, bestimmt ist es furchtbar ramontisch, dort zu sitzen und zu futtern und zu singen. So groß wie sie nun ist, würde man ne ganze Sau drauf grillen können...

    Und weil wir grad von Gross sprechen: Euer Vorgarten ist ja riesig. Da passt unserer ja dreissigmal rein. Wieso rupft Ihr nicht die Bäume wieder aus und richtet Baseball Meisterschaften dort aus ?

    Ich wünsch Euch ein sonniges Wochenende !

    Eve, die nun ihren Minigarten aufräumen geht

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guten Abend liebe Anke,
    habe gerade mit großer Begeisterung dein Posting gelesen..
    Eure Feuerstelle ist ja toll.
    Die Feuerstelle wird bestimmt im nächsten Jahr viel genutzt werden..
    Ich glaube,wenn man so etwas Schönes hier machen würde, hätte man umgehend Feuerwehr und Polizei dabeistehen ;o)

    Frost hatten wir hier Oben, in Schleswig Holstein vor einem Monat,jetzt ist es geradezu mild.
    Wird es arg kalt bei euch, oder lebt ihr in einer milderen Ecke ?

    Deine Weste schaut so schön aus..
    Glaube dir sofort das sie dich schön warm hält.
    Viele liebe Grüße
    aus einer nebeligen Ecke ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Swanntje, wenn wir in der Stadt wohnen wuerden, duertfen wir das auch nicht. Da wir aber ausserhalbt wohnen (und wir kein riesiges Feuer machen) hat keiner etwas dagegen. Bei uns ist es momentan auch wieder waermer, die naechsten paar Tage wieder um die 20 Grad. Wir haben schon auch Schnee, aber nie allzu viel und nie zu lange.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful sweater. I love the stripe pattern! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm having fun with this blogging business. :) Oh and I grew up in Denmark!

    ReplyDelete