Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Advise, help and tips needed

When I said Hannah's poison ivy rash was gone, I spoke too soon. Our poor girl started with a little area around her left eye on Sunday, and yesterday morning her eye was almost swollen shut. It has since spread all over her face, some on her neck and some on her arms. I took her to the doctor and she was given antibiotics, benadryl and a steroid cream. We are also applying chamomile compresses to help get the swelling down. If anybody has any helpful hints or tips for us, we would appreciate them very, very much.


  1. Unfortunely, we are very familiar with poison ivy. My son gets it all the time. All year long-it is amazing. Our doctor will give him a steroid shot and it usually starts clearing up within 24 hours. You don't want to do the shots too much though bc the shots are not good for growing children (or anyone really).

  2. Oh my, no! I don't have any experience with that, but I'm sending healing thoughts Hannah's way!

  3. In the paper this past week in a doctors column that milk of magnesia put on poison ivy would help. I have never tried it. I had a bad case of poison ivy 4 weeks ago and the doctor put on a weeks worth of steroids. They help.Blogger wont let me post a comment under anything but anonymous. So I always havwe to add my name myself.

    Dena Criswell
    a1axelady at The Blooming Cottage

  4. Poor Hannah... not sure if you use or would use Homeopathy, but it is hugely effective. I include a link here with some info on homeopathy and poison ivy and the remedy to use etc. Hope she feels better soon...

  5. I'm sorry, I have nothing. But take care of your little Hannah.
    Your Friend, m.

  6. Jewel weed grows next to poison ivy so anytime you get into it you can rub that onto it. Now I will tell you what I used the last time I got into a batch, and that is the inside of a banana peel. Yes! it really does work! My dad's cousin is a surveyor, and someone told him about using the peels since he had a really bad case. It will help with the itching and swelling as it has a natural anti-histamine in it. I won't go to the doctor for the shots anymore as I never felt right from it.
    By the way, you can also make jewel weed soap to use after being outside if you think you got into some or you can also purchase it on etsy. I hope this helps a little Anke, cause I know how Hannah is feeling!
    Take Care,

  7. Sarna lotion is what we use, It use to be a prescription. Now it's over the counter. But pricy, about $12.

  8. P.S. Dilli at Frugal Homestead has made jewel weed soap before and I believe she has a recipe for it. She was kind enough to give me a bar one time.

  9. Not good; poor Hannah! I think the compresses you are using will bring her some relief. i really think that time will help her progress....we've not had too many issues with poison ivy. Sorry.

  10. Oh, sad! I have no idea what else to suggest because what the doc gave you is what I normally take for stings and skin irritations. Hope your daughter will feel better soon!

  11. Hallo liebe Anke,

    das tut mir sehr leid ! Leider hab ich keinen Rat für Dich und ich hoffe sehr, dass Deine Tochter bald wieder gesund wird !

  12. Thank you all for your concern, well wishes and advise!
    Mama Hen, I've read about the steroid shots and we want to use it only as a last resort. Hopefully it won't come to it. So sorry your son gets it so often.
    Dena, I will look into the milk of magnesia.
    Ulrike, I've read about using Jewel weed in the Carrots love tomatoes book. Sadly, I don't know where to find any. I will check out Dilli's blog and see if I can find the recipe for it though. The banana peel will be tried out today!!
    Patti, I will look for the Sarna lotion when I run to the store today.
    Thank you all again, Anke

  13. there ya go Anke... it often grows in less than 50 foot of where the poinson is.. i have also had good results with using bleach on the poison places... it stings but will dry it up.. an oatmeal bath always helps the itchies too..i have to completely wash with good hot soapy (dish soap works) water immediately after even looking at the stuff.. i believe i catch it through osmosis :).. swift flowing running water (river, stream)is my favorite solution to the rash once it develops a couple hours of water romping will clear it up in a couple days like nothing else i know

  14. Oatmeal bath will help with the itching and you can make a paste with the oatmeal and apply to the areas that are the worst. I put it through the food processor to grind it up a little finer. Add enough water to make it a paste. Works really well.
    Jewel weed doesnt always grow next to Poison Ivy. It does however grow in the full shade. To much sun will kill it. It is related to Aloe and works for all sorts of things like Poison Ivy and Mosquito bites.
    Hope she is better soon!

  15. Thank you so much Dilli and Tonia!

  16. So sorry for your poor daughter.
    Since you don't know jewelweed you can also use plantain which is drawing poison. Make a poultice or compress with fresh plantain (Plantago lanceolata or Plantago major)
    A quick help from your kitchen cup board is baking soda. Since the eye is a problem if you get soda into it be careful by applying a paste of soda and little bit of water on the surrounding.
    Wish you all the best for a quick healing!


    PS: Blanche has a nice video about jewelweed

  17. Seriously? What will the spammers come up with next LOL?

  18. Erin, I just now saw the comment - would have deleted it sooner, had I seen it. Where in the world did that fruit loop come from??