Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Yarn along

Just recently I was able to get a great (German) knitting magazine that has the cutest felted slipper pattern in it. I've never knitted and then felted anything, but really wanted to give it a try. I went to JoAnn's fabrics (they just opened about a week ago) to look for buttons for the cardigan. Of course I had to browse a bit while I was there and I found some wool for felting. It is Patons, classic wool and I got started on the slippers pretty much immediately. The pattern is incredibly easy and I can see myself knitting more than one pair...
The book I'm reading is "Of Mice And Men". A classic of course, but one I've never read. Saw the book at the thrift store for 50 cents the other day and couldn't pass it up...
Head on over to Ginny's to see what everybody else is doing for the yarn along...
Vor kurzem habe ich ein deutsches Strickheft bekommen (danke Ines und Mama!) und darin war eine Anleitung fuer gefilzte Puschen. Sie haben mir so gut gefallen, dass ich stricken und filzen unbedingt ausprobieren wollte. Da ich fuer die rote Weste noch Knoepfe kaufen musste, bin ich in einen neuen Stoff/Wolle/Bastelladen um mich mal umzusehen. Die Knoepfe waren gleich ausgesucht und dann habe ich mal in der Wollabteilung geschnuppert... Bin auch fuendig geworden und habe mir diese rote Wolle fuer die Puschen gekauft. Musste natuerlich auch gleich mit stricken anfangen und kann nur sagen, die Anleitung ist kinderleicht. Werde bestimmt mehr wie ein Paar Puschen stricken...
Das Buch, dass ich gerade lese ist "Of Mice And Men", ein Klassiker. Hatte es bisher noch nie gelesen, aber da ich es fuer 50 cent im Second Hand Laden gefunden hatte, konnte ich nicht wiederstehen.
Wenn ihr sehen wollt was andere so stricken oder lesen, schaut mal bei Ginny vorbei...
By the way, Nadia is sick and at home now... She's mainly complaining about a headache and last night she started with a temperature of 100.7. Here we go again... (We did go to the doctor yesterday and they said it's a virus - again.)
Ach ja, Nadia ist mittlerweile krank und musste von der Schule zuhause bleiben. Angefangen hat es mit Kopfschmerzen, aber gestern Abend kam dann noch Fieber dazu. (Wir waren gestern auch beim Arzt und sie meinten es waere ein Virus.)

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you sure have had your hands full with sick ones lately. Let's hope Nadia is not as sick as Hannah was. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Nadia!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will look forward to seeing your completed felted slippers, Anke.

    Glad that Nadia's fever isn't as high as Hannah's was. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

    Hope you are able to have a good week. I know it is hard when your children aren't feeling their best. You are a good mom, Anke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...your poor sweet girls. I hope it passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anke, was it you that asked about 'Mr Greenjeans'?this is the free pattern!
    http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTgreenjeans.html
    'Of Mice and Men' is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vielen Dank for the visit! I love your cardi from the previous post.

    I hope your little one is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liebe Anke,

    ich schicke ganz viele "Gute Besserung" Wünsche an Deine Tochter Nadia, hoffentlich ist sie schnell wieder auf den Beinen.
    Auf Deine fertigen Puschen bin ich echt schon ganz gespannt...die Wolle finde ich toll, schöner kräftiger Ton!
    Danke für Deine Antwort, ich habe mich mal umgeschaut aber es ist alles ziemlich teuer.
    Lass es Dir gut gehen und viel Spaß beim Puschen vollenden...
    Viele liebe Grüße,

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I really want to knit some felted slippers! I will be curious to see how yours turn out =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love my felted slippers, but it's too cold here to wear them. My fleece lined ones are much better this year. Can't wait to see how these turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see the slippers, and I've never read that book either - let us know if you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one of my favourite books, along with Stienbecks other wonderful classic The Grapes of Wrath, so poignantly written.
    The colour os that yarn is so rich, I love it!
    Enjoy your reading and knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to knit and felt slippers, but I want to try the French Press Slippers for myself and some curly-toed elf slippers for my little one...I hear that the Patons is very good for this.

    Looking forward to seeing the result. And I hope Nadia feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been wanting to make some felted slippers for myself and the girls. I can't wait to see how yours come out.

    Hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

    Blessings, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  13. It keeps going around doesn't it? So ready for warmer weather, and color! Saw on the news where you got snow again too, so did we although not very much. Those slippers look so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your slippers turned out super! I just had a peak at your new post showing them off all finished and I just love them :) Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day to :) I was really worried about adding on a 6th finger or something silly when I started the gloves for my son but they were actually very nice to knit up :) I just might make some for my husband next :) Hope your daughter feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete