Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Roc day at the little barn

Yesterday was the annual Roc day at the little barn yarn shop. This was the day after the holidays when all the spinners would go back to work. The little barn yarn shop hosts Roc day for all the spinners, knitters and weavers (everybody is welcome) to get together, to learn from one another, chat and just to have a fun day.
Since Greg gave me the spinning wheel for Christmas and I had no clue how to get started, I decided to go. I dragged the wheel, the roving and my knitting (just in case) over there and it was the best decision I could have made. I've been to the shop several times now and I can not say enough about the people. They are the nicest and most helpful shop owners I have ever met!! They helped me set up the wheel, supplied me with what was missing in order to get started (for free) and were super patient with a novice like me.
It didn't take long for the shop to fill up and I there were about 8 - 10 spinning wheels brought in, several people came with their knitting and one guy brought his loom. It was sensory overload and I learned so much and met some incredibly talented and nice people.
Gestern war Roc day in dem Wollladen "little barn" hier in unserer Naehe. Roc day war der Tag nach den Feiertagen an dem alle Spinner wieder auf die Arbeit sind. Little barn haelt diesen Tag jaehrlich und laed dazu alle ein die gerne spinnen, stricken weben. Natuerlich ist jeder eingeladen der Interesse hat und es wird viel gequatscht, man lernt ungemein viel und hat Spass miteinander.
Nachdem Greg mir das Spinnrad zu Weihnachten geschenkt hatte und ich keine Ahnung hatte wie ich beginnen sollte, habe ich mein Spinnrad, die Wolle und mein Strickzeug (fuer den Notfall) hingeschleppt. Ich haette keine bessere Entscheidung treffen koennen! Die Inhaber der little barn sind die nettesten Leute die man sich vorstellen kann. Sie haben mir geholfen das Spinnrad "spinnbereit" zu machen, haben fehlende Teile (kostenlos) fuer mich ersetzt und waren super geduldig mit mir.
Es hat nicht lange gedauert und der Laden war zum Bersten voll. Es waren ca 8 - 10 Leute mit ihren Spinnraedern dort, viele mit ihrem Strickzeug und ein Mann mit seinem Webrahmen.
Mir sind teilweise richtig die Augen uebergegangen. Es waren soviele talentierte und nette Leute dort und ich habe sehr viel gelernt.Do you see the lady in the red shirt in the foreground? She's the one that came up to Burritt on the mountain two years ago with a sock knitting machine. I've tried to get in touch with her after getting a sock knitting machine from Greg, but wasn't able to. There she was yesterday, she remembered me and we exchanged phone numbers. I might finally be able to use the sock knitting machine after all!
Seht ihr die Frau mit dem roten Hemd im Vordergrund? Sie ist die Dame die vor zwei Jahren an Weihnachten ihre Sockenstrickmaschine auf Burritt on the mountain dabei hatte. Ich hatte (leider erfolglos) versucht mit ihr Kontakt aufzunehmen, nachdem Greg mir eine Strickmaschine gekauft hatte. Gestern war sie da, wir kamen ins Gespraech und sie konnte sich noch an mich erinnern. Jetzt haben wir Telefon # ausgetauscht und vielleicht kann ich jetzt endlich lernen wie man die Maschine benutzt.
Lots of people knew each other from previous Roc days or from knitting groups. I met one really funny lady who attends a knitting group at our Barnes and Nobles. I'd read about the group in the paper and considered going, but was hesitant since I didn't know anybody. Not anymore...
Viele Leute kannten sich schon von den letzten Roc days oder von Strickgruppen. Ich habe eine sehr lustige Frau kennengelernt die in einer Strickgruppe dabei ist, die sich woechentlich in einem Buecherladen trifft. Ich hatte durch die Zeitung von dieser Strickgruppe gehoert, bin bisher aber noch nicht hin, da ich niemanden kannte. Jetzt nicht mehr...
Here is JJ setting up his loom. His woven scarfs were beautiful!
Hier baut JJ seinen Webrahmen auf. Seine gewebten Stuecke waren wunderschoen!
Yarns and fibers galore... Of course I couldn't come home empty handed. :-)
Wolle, Wolle und noch mehr Wolle... Natuerlich musste ich mir ein bissl was kaufen. :-)
More yarn and some snacks. The owners provided most of it, but then people could bring some if they wanted. I brought a bin tin of cookies and they were gone by the time I went home.
Noch mehr Wolle und eine kleines Buffet. Die Inhaber haben das meiste Essen bereit gestellt, aber jeder der wollte konnte zum Buffet beitragen. Ich habe eine grosse Dose Plaetzchen mitgebracht und sie waren alle weg als ich nach hause bin.
The stores library. You can check out any books you want for two weeks for free!
Die Buecherei im Laden. Jeder kann sich dort umsonst Buecher fuer zwei Wochen ausleihen.
I am so glad I discovered this store and if you're in the area you should definitely try and stop by.
Ich bin wirklich froh diesen Laden gefunden zu haben und werde wohl noch sehr oft dort vorbei schauen.

6 comments:

  1. OHMIGOSH! So jealous! I would live in these places if I could LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liebe Anke, ich Lese und Lese und Lese und staune und staune und staune und bin ganz grün im Gesicht.
    Du Glückliche Du!!!!!!!!! Da wäre ich ja sehr oft, um Spinnen und Weben zu Lernen und und und.
    Herzliche sonnige Grüße sendet Dir Uschi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO happy for you, Anke! When I see all of the yarns I think you must have felt like you were in heaven! :-) Sounds like a wonderful fun-filled day for you...and I'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was für ein toller Laden, ich finde es immer gut wenn sich eine Menge kreativer Menschen treffen da knistert die Luft vor vergnügen. alles liebe
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...I can sense your excitement. I hope you have fun fun fun with your new toy now.
    Can't wait to see what you create next.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I would be in heaven looking at all of that wonderful yarn! My 80 year old crafty neighbor sat down with me the other day, and showed how she made her crocheted slippers so I might try those soon. What fun you had with all of them, and such a neat way to meet and learn. I'd be interested in that sock knitting machine. The socks at the store always seem to be too tight around the ankle and higher. I'm not the only one who has noticed this either. Will be interested to see what you will be spinning!
    Tschuss,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete