Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Friday, January 21, 2011

Organizing

This wardrobe was passed down to us from my grandma, but I think it actually used to belong to her sister before then. It was very dark and dingy looking when we got it, so we had it refinished and had the mirror added in the middle. For the longest time it was in Nadia's room, but since it took up so much space, we moved it into our bedroom. It has been a catchall for all kinds of stuff, but after reading Erin's blog, I got motivated to clean it out and make space for all my sewing and craft supplies. My yarn stash is still in a basket in the living room and my stamping supplies are still set up in our closet, but at least everything else is in one place now.
And yes, there is a dog kennel to one side of the wardrobe and a dog blanket on the other... classy...
Diesen alten Schrank haben wir von meiner Oma bekommen, wobei ich glaube, dass er vorher ihrer Schwester gehoert hat. Als wir ihn bekamen, war er sehr dunkel und musste unbedingt hergerichtet werden. Wir haben ihn also renovieren lassen und liessen gleichzeitig einen Spiegel in die mittlere Tuere machen. Ganz lange war der Schrank dann in Nadia's Zimmer, hat aber einfach zu viel Platz abgenommen. Wir haben ihn dann in unser Schlafzimmer und er wurde zur Sammelstelle fuer alles moegliche. Nachdem ich die Tage Erin's blog gelesen hatte, hatte ich die noetige Motivation den Schrank in Angriff zu nehmen und auszusortieren. Jetzt sind saemtliche Bastel und Naehsachen in diesem Schrank untergrbracht und ich muss nicht mehr im ganzen Haus danach suchen. Ok, meine Wolle ist immer noch in einem Korb im Wohnzimmer, und meine Stempelsachen sind in unserem (begehbaren) Kleiderschrank untergebracht, aber der Rest ist nun an einer Stelle.
Und ja, das ist eine Hundedecke auf der einen Seite vom Schrank und ein Kaefig auf der anderen Seite... richtig "schick"...This is what the inside used to look like. A collection of craft supplies, sheets, dog towels, sewing supplies...
So sah es vorher im Schrank aus. Ein Mischmasch aus Laken, Hundehandtuechern, Bastel und Naehzubehoer...
And this is what it looks like now. The very top holds all of my fabric (mainly remnants, I'm not a big fabric hoarder), batting or interfacing.
The middle shelf holds the sewing machine, leftover yarn, glue guns... Everything neatly packed away and easy to find.
On the bottom is the sewing basket that was given to me by my uncle for my confirmation (lets not get into how old that makes me), the sewing basket I brought back from Germany, the reeds for basket making and a tub full of craft supplies for the girls.
So much better than before, don't you think?
Und so sieht es jetzt aus. Im obersten Regal sind nun meine ganzen Stoffe (meistens Reste), quilt Fuellung usw. untergebracht.
Auf dem mittleren Regal steht nun die Naehmaschine, Wollreste, Heissklebepistolen... Alles schoen weggepackt und einfach zu finden.
Unten drin steht der Naehkorb den ich von meinem Onkel zur Konfirmation bekommen habe (wir wollen mal nicht darueber nachdenken wie alt mich das macht), der Naehkorb den ich aus Dtld mitgebracht habe, sowohl als auch Bastelmaterial fuer die Maedels und alles was ich zum Korbflechten benoetige.
Viel besser als vorher, oder?
Oh, and I hung this onto the door. I made it several years ago to hold all of my circular knitting needles. Might have to make another one, this one is almost full...
Dies hier habe ich an die Tuere gehaengt. Ich habe es schon vor laengerer Zeit genaeht und es ist wirklich praktisch fuer alle Rundstricknadeln. Muss demnaechst noch eines naehen, dieses ist fast schon voll...
Next I'm going to organize my stamping area...
Als naechstes werde ich meine Stempelsachen aufraeumen...

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piece of furniture, Anke! How special it must be to you, with it having belonged to your grandma. You have really done a great job of organizing everything! You are making me want to start getting more organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, please, please come to PA and organize my craft room. Perhaps I need someone to lock me in there without food and water...with no hopes of escaping until it is organized!!! I might starve to death. I fear the work would take me weeks!!

    Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anke I love it! Nice that you have such a beautiful armoire to store it all in. I think I just found my next beginner's sewing project :) I have my growing collection of circ needles in a bin and they are all jumbled up! You do baskets, too? I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eine tolle Idee, die Rundstricknadeln so zu sortieren. Bei mir liegen -alle nach Größen sortiert im Zip-Beutel- in in einer Schublade. Schön, sortiert hast du deinen Schrank. So etwas braucht Frau.
    Lieben Gruß und ein schönes Wochenende für euch von Petra

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful and functional piece of history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing about your wardrobe and sewing basket, Anke xx links to the past are so wonderful to have in our daily lives:) you did an excellent job of organizing! bravo:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove these wardrobes. I think they make any room look fantastic. It looks so great and I like how you hung the circular needles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! That's a beautiful wardrobe, you're lucky to have such a nice piece. I think January is the month for organizing, isn't it? Your craft supplies look so happy in their neat new home - much better than my craft supplies look as they continue taking over an entire room of my house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiring! But I'd rather you came over and fixed up my closets for me, please... you're a PRO! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liebe Anke!
    Schön ist dein Schrank von deiner Oma.Stehd er wohl da wo vorher die Komode im Schlafzimmer stand?Ich liebe so eine Ordnung wie in deinem Schrank,wenn ich was auf die schnelle brauch und ich nur hinnlangen brauch und nicht erst dannach suchen muss.Toll
    Liebe Grüße Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine, wir haben die Kommode in Nadia's Zimmer und den Schrank ins Schlafzimmer. Der Schrank war einfach zu wuchtig in Nadia's Zimmer und bei uns passt er einfach besser rein. Liebe Gruesse an alle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember the schranks. Everyone had a schrank whereas over here we have our closets. Like the "classy" look Anke! I cracked up when I read that part since many times I have had something like that on the floor. Right now Heidi, the German Shepherd, is staying outside. I need to get busy and organize my "schrank" in my craft room. Love the way yours looks, it does bring back memories.
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete