Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I made soap!

I love learning new things, and finding out how things are made. Making soap was one of the things I've been wanting to make, but not knowing how and where to start kind of held me back. Then I got lucky! Back in April the church I work for had a rummage sale (fundraiser) and I found a soap making kit for 2 dollars!!! It had the oil, lye, lavender fragrance, ground oats, great directions and even a CD to print out my own labels. The 3 empty cartons were also in the box. I wound up buying a stick blender just for this purpose, but everything else I already had.
Here is the mess of things before I got started.
Ich bin immer ganz begeistert wenn ich etwas neues lernen kann, und herausfinde wie etwas gemacht wird. Schon seit langer Zeit wollte ich Seife machen, habe mich aber an die Sache nicht so rangetraut. Dann hatte ich Glueck und habe ein Seifenkit bei einem Flohmarkt gefunden. Die Kirche fuer die ich arbeite hatte im April einen "rummage sale" und da fand ich das Seifenkit fuer 2 Dollar!! Es war alles dabei was man so braucht (sogar die drei leeren Kartons) nur den Puerierstab habe ich mir extra gekauft.
So sah die Kueche aus als ich angefangen habe...The oil was really yellow, but turns clear as you heat it. Nothing about making soap was difficult, except trying to bring the oil and lye/water mixture to the same temperature. If I make soap again, I'll definitely buy a digital thermometer.
Das Oel war am Anfang ganz gelb, es wird dann aber klar wenn man es erhitzt. Das ganze Seifenmachen war wirklich nicht schwer, nur das Oel und die Lauge auf die selbe Temperatur zu bringen war nicht so einfach. Wenn ich wieder Seife mache, kaufe ich mir definitiv ein digitales Thermometer.
The soap, once poured into the cartons needs to be wrapped in towels and left to rest for 4 to 5 days. Can you see where it says "candle kit" and the $3 price tag? That's how I bought the kit, labeled wrong and then they gave it to me for $2!
Wenn die Seife in die Kartons gegossen ist, muss man sie in Handtuecher wickeln und langsam abkuehlen lassen. Dann muss die Seife fuer 4 - 5 Tage ruhen.
Seht ihr wo auf der Schachtel "candle kit" steht und den pinken $3 Preis Sticker? War falsch auf der Schachtel gestanden und dann hab ich alles fuer $2 bekommen!
Here is the soap after tearing off the cartons, I like the lavender specks in the soap.
Hier ist die Seife nachdem ich sie aus den Kartons gemacht habe.
After slicing the blocks. The soap still needs to cure now for about 4 weeks, and then we'll be able to use it. Might even give some as Christmas presents...
Hier ist die Seife nun in Stuecke geschnitten. Jetzt muss sie nur noch fuer 4 Wochen ruhen, und dann koennen wir sie benutzen. Vielleicht verschenke ich auch einen Teil an Weihnachten...
Oh, the kit came from Botanie soap and normally sells for about $ 45. I REALLY got a good deal!
Das Seifenkit gibt es uebrigens bei Botanie soap zu kaufen. Es kostet normalerweise $45!!! Da hab ich echt ein Schnaeppchen gemacht.

10 comments:

  1. You did get a good deal!!!!! And I want to learn how to make soap also. We hope to get some goats next spring and we will have plenty of milk to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got much further than I have! I bought the lye on the internet since we can't find it locally over a year ago and put it out of the reach of children LOL, now hubby is deployed and I don't want to do it with little ones around... when he gets back he can get them out of the house for the day and I'll give it a whirl. I also bought the coconut oil stuff do do soaps without lye, but haven't gotten around to that, either LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO...now you've officially done the one thing I really wanted to do this year! It isn't going to happen for me this year, but I'm glad you had a positive experience with your soap making.

    Glad also for you finding the yarn store so close home! The yarn you purchased is so pretty! Your mushrooms look adorable.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Anke what a super wonderful deal you got! I am sooooo very excited for you! On my list of things to learn how to do someday! Good for you that your were able to do it! big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job. I'm sure you had fun making soap. I've never tried that! It's nice to broaden ones horizon and try different things.

    Have a nice week, Anke. All the best to you and your family :-)
    Doris and Gizzy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool!! Ich will auch Seife machen, aber ja, ich haette keine ahnung wie man das macht ohne kit. Ich muss mal einfach probieren. Vielleicht im Fruehling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did get a great deal!!!
    Oh, lavender? I bet it smells divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liebe Anke,
    mit riesengrosser Freude las ich gerade deinen Kommentar auf meinem Blog. Ich freue mich sehr darüber.

    Im Ofen ist gerade ein super Kuchen, was für ein Glück, daß ich deinen Blog gefunden habe.

    Ich grüße dich ganz herzlich und sende die allerliebsten Grüße von mir zu Dir.

    herzlichst Uschi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallo Anke,

    vor lauter Begeisterung habe ich vergessen zu schreiben, wie toll ich deine Seife finde. Ich bin schwer beeindruckt und ich liebe deine Seite jetzt schon sehr.

    Herzlichste Uschi vom grünem Inselchen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've so wanted to do this, my mom and I keep planning but never find the time. I will remember the tip about having a digital thermometer. I think you got a great deal, and the end product with the lavender pieces look so pretty. Great job!

    ReplyDelete