Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pears

Greg's parents are lucky enough to have a large pear tree on their property. It was COVERED in pears and my FIL was nice enough to pick some for me to take home. Thank you Charles!
This is the loot sitting in the laundry room waiting for me...
Greg's Eltern haben einen grossen Birnenbaum auf ihrem Grundstueck. Der Baum war voller Birnen und mein Schwiegervater war so lieb und hat mir viele gepflueckt, damit ich sie mit nach Hause nehmen konnte.
Da sitzen sie nun im Waschraum und warten darauf verarbeitet zu werden...So far I made 7 jars of pear butter and I plan on making some preserves and baking a pie with them. I also think they are delicious to eat, even if they are a bit tart.
Bis jetzt habe ich 7 Glaeser "Birnenbutter" (eine Art Marmelade) eingemacht, will aber noch ein anderes Rezept einmachen und auch einen Kuchen damit backen. Die Birnen sind zwar etwas sauer, aber mir schmecken sie sehr gut.

Spiced Pear Butter
5 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup water
sugar
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
Place pears and water in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan and bring to a full boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until pears are tender, stirring occasionally.
Place pear mixture in food processor or blender (I used an immersion blender) and process until almost smooth. Measure and return to saucepan. For each cup pears, add 1 1/4 cups sugar. Tie cinnamon and cloves in a spice bag and add to pear mixture.
Return mixture to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, until mixture is very thick, stirring frequently.
Discard spice bag, add nutmeg, if using.
Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes.
I tripled the recipe and it made 10 cups of pear puree. I did not add as much sugar as I was supposed to (would have been about 12 cups!) and it still turned out fine.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, yummy pears. My Mom makes wonderful pear jam and also dries pears to make her special Swiss pear bread for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful...I love them too. They are wonderful chopped in a salad with some stinky cheese. (blue, goat or Gorgonzola)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that too... when recipes call for salt or sugar, I only put in part of what they ask for, and I usually think they turn out just fine. We eat way too much of both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anke,

    I get a lot of those pears too from people's trees who do not want them and I cook them up into compott and really enjoy them. They are a bit of work, but well worth it.

    Ours are all gone now, but next I'm looking forward to the persimmons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pear butter sounds wonderful, Anke. Pears are my favorite morning fruit to have with the rest of my breakfast. We've not had many pears to can since moving here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum-O. Next time I get a batch I'll have to try pear butter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a bounty!! thanks for sharing the recipe Anke! that sounds great:) xx

    ReplyDelete