Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Sunday, August 22, 2010

EAT

Have you seen these beautiful 'Eat" signs all over blogland and the internet? Ever since I saw the first one, I wanted to make one for our dining room. Well, today Hannah and I went to Michael's and I got the supplies for it. It was a quick and very easy craft to whip up.
Start out with your letters. These were the largest ones they had, and since our dining room has high ceilings, I needed to use those. ($3.49 each)
Habt ihr schon einmal diese tollen "EAT" Schilder (wenn man das so nennen kann) auf anderen blogs oder im Internet gesehen? Seit ich das erste gesehen hatte, wollte ich eines fuer unser Esszimmer machen. Heute hat es mich dann endlich gepackt und Hannah und ich sind zu Michael's (siebter Himmel fuer mich) gegangen. Die Buchstaben waren die groessten die sie hatten ($3.49 pro Stueck), und da die Decke in unserem Esszimmer sehr hoch ist, mussten es die auch sein.I "slapped" on some paint just to cover the white. It's not very pretty, but you really can't see it afterward.
Ich habe die Buchstaben 'grob' angemalt, wollte nur nicht, dass am Ende irgendwo was weisses rausschaut.
Once the paint was dry, I traced the letters on some scrapbook paper. I cut them out and using modge podge, glued them to the wooden letters.
Nachdem die Farbe trocken war, hab ich die Buchstaben auf scrapbook Papier uebertragen. Das Ganze ausschneiden und dann das Papier mit modge podge (Gibt es das in Dtld auch? Ist ein Decoupier Kleber.) auf die Holzbuchstaben kleben.
This was above the armoire before. A friend of mine had given it to me at least 10 years ago and it was just time for it to go.
So sah es vorher ueber dem Schrank im Esszimmer aus. Eine Freundin hatte mir das vor bestimt schon 10 Jahren geschenkt und mittlerweile hatte ich mich daran einfach sattgesehen.
Hanging the letters up was not an easy feat. Since the ceilings are pretty high, I actually had to take a short ladder and balance it on two chairs to be able to reach. Kind of gave me the willies, but everything worked out fine. And the end result was worth it to me, what do you think?
Die Buchstaben aufzuhaengen war gar nicht so einfach. Da die Decke so hoch ist, musste ich eine kleine Leiter auf zwei Stuehle balancieren und dann hochklettern. Hatte schon etwas Muffe, aber es hat alles geklappt und das Endresultat war es mir wert. Was meint ihr?

10 comments:

  1. I have not seen these...but I love how you did it.
    Um, the ladder/chair combo...you should be ashamed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG we have one on our screened in porch....lower case letters!!! And, I painted ours red, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute - and a sentiment I feel like doing right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ein super schönes Resultat. Bei deiner Akrobatik hätte ich Mäuschen spielen mögen. Schön, dass alles gut gegangen ist.
    Lieben Gruß an dich von Petra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prima Idee, sieht echt toll aus, Und bei uns heißt das Zeug auch so!
    Wünsch Dir einen schönen tag bei uns regnet es wie aus Eimern.
    Tschüss
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks wonderful! You did a fantastic job and it goes with your wall colors perfectly.

    I may have to borrow this idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear I haven't seen the EAT until now. I just did plates with E A T on them and now I am seeing them all over. Kinda like when you are pregnant you notice all the pregnant people. I was gonna do EAT PRAY LOVE but only had one letter ea of the alphabet with rub ons so I just did EAT

    ReplyDelete