Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Friday, July 23, 2010

What to do...

when you're really not supposed to do anything... I'm still supposed to rest and not do any kind of work, but IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! I have such a hard time sitting still and I'm trying hard to find things I can do and I'm allowed to do. So here's what I've been up to the last couple of days:
Had Hannah drag out the sewing machine (and Nadia the ironing board) and whipped up this skirt. The material was bought month ago and I finally decided what to use it for. Hey, I can even wear the skirt since I just put elastic in the waist - still no "normal" pants/skirts for me...
Was tut man, wenn man sich schonen soll und nicht viel machen darf?? Es faellt mir so schwer nur herumzulungern und nichts zu tun, macht mich absolut rasend! Damit ich nicht ganz am Rad drehe, versuche ich staendig auf neue Ideen zu kommen, damit mir nicht langweilig wird.
Hannah hat mir die Naehmaschine raus (Nadia das Buegelbrett) und ich habe diesen Rock genaeht. Den Stoff hatte ich schon seit laengerem herum liegen und jetzt wusste ich endlich was ich daraus machen wollte. Ich habe auch nur einen Gummizug reingemacht, denn so kann ich den Rock nun wenigstens schon anziehen. Kann immer noch keine "normalen" Hosen/Roecke tragen...Detail on the slit in the side...
Das Detail am Schlitz...
I stalked the frog that lives in our pond. It is very hard to get a picture of the sucker... He likes to sunbathe on the rocks, but as soon as we open the backdoor, he jumps in the pond.
Bin dem Frosch der in unserem Teich lebt hinterhergeschlichen. Man, war das schwer ein Bild von ihm zu bekommen. Er sitzt auf den Steinen und sonnt sich, aber sobald wir die Terassentuere aufmachen, huepft er wieder in's Wasser.
Also stalked some bugs...
Bin auch einigen Insekten nachgepirscht...
Spiders don't really bother me, I think the colors on this one are kind of pretty. Anybody know what kind of spider this is?
Spinnen machen mir eigentlich nichts aus, ich finde die Farben dieser Spinne sogar sehr schoen.
I'm knitting obsessively. This is the first piece of the sweater being blocked. There is actually a nice pattern in there, but it is very hard to see.
Ich stricke zur Zeit wie besessen. Das ist das erste Vorderteil der Jacke waehrend es gespannt wird. Es ist auf dem Bild sehr schwer zu erkennen, aber in der Jacke ist ein recht nettes Muster eingestrickt.
I make and drink a lot of sun tea right now. Sooo refreshing...
Da es so heiss ist, mache und trinke ich viel "Sonnentee". Ganz einfach zu machen: Karaffe mit kaltem Wasser fuellen, Tee reingeben (ich habe 4 Teebeutel reingehaengt) nach Geschmack Kraeuter zugeben (Pfefferminze), etwas abdecken damit nichts reinfliegt und dann fuer einige Stunden in die Sonne stellen. Ich mag den Tee ungesuesst und auf Eis, schmeckt sooo lecker!
Baked bread, made hummus and concocted a avocado, tomato, pepper, onion salad and had it all for lunch.
Habe Brot gebacken, Hummus gemacht und einen Salat aus Avocado, Tomaten, Paprika und Zwiebeln 'erfunden' und das Ganze dann zu Mittag gegessen.
Oh, I've also been reading, walking around the backyard (seeing all the weeds and not being able to do anything about it is killing me), harvesting some things while out there, watching HGTV... any other ideas of what to do???
Ansonsten lese ich noch viel, drehe immer wieder meine Runden im Garten (das ganze Unkraut in den Beeten zu sehen und es nicht zupfen zu duerfen macht mich verrueckt), ernte immer mal wieder was, schaue ein bissl Fernsehen... sonst noch Ideen was ich so alles treiben koennte?


Three Grain Bread
3 Tbs ground flax seed meal
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 1/4 cups milk (whey)
2 tsp shortening
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 tbs brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
This is my version of the three grain bread. The original recipe called for regular barley (instead of the flax seed meal) to be baked at 350 for 15 minutes, then cooled, then blended with the rolled oats until the consistency of flour. I did not have the barley and so experimented with the flax and also added the sunflower seeds. I love how the bread turned out, but I will try and get some barley to see how it was supposed to taste. (The bread was baked like all my other breads.)

10 comments:

  1. I knwo how hard it is to stay down. I had accumulated a pile of books for whenIhad my surgery last year. When I started feeling better about 2 weeks after I finished them all in about a week.... Was going crazy. I wish Ihad known how to knit I could have done something for Christmas!lol
    The Spider is a garden spider. We had a couple around here last year. When I was a kid my mom showed us how to take bugs and toss them in the web and they will start bouncing it and come get the bug and wrap it up.. Something I had to pass on to my girls!Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the spider info Tonia. I'll have to try that with my girls - it'll give me something else to do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone who is supposed to be doing nothing, you are doing a lot. :)
    Love the skirt and the frog is adorable. Did your girls name him?
    I was down for a few weeks earlier this year and I watched so much HGTV, I was redecorating the house while I slept!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo anke
    kennst du die Drachenreiter von pern, von Ann Mccaffrey? Ich lese sie gerade mal wieder.
    Vorschlag les mal wieder!
    1 stunde noch dann gehtes los!
    Tschüss
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great skirt! Love the ruffled detail on the slit.

    Your spider is a garden spider; more specifically, a black and yellow Argiope.

    Love that your blog is in German and in English---it is a challenge to see how much German I remember from high school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're busier when you're on down-time than most people are at their most active! Woman! Take a break! LOL

    ps: I love how crafty you are with sewing, knitting, baking, etc - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anke! It's a challenge I know to try not to do anything for that long a period. I like your skirt, very summery looking! Everyone has told you about the spider, but they are very good to have in the garden as they take care of all those other pests. I always take care around them so as not too disturb them too much.
    I hope you have a good weekend, and trust me the weeds can wait!
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been one busy lady for someone who isn't supposed to do anything! :-) LOVE the skirt...creative with posies you made at the slit. Beautiful pictures of the "critters" you have around your yard. Bread looks yummy! Wish I could be there to take care of the weeding for you.

    Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for visiting my blog. Your blog is a little like mine. A little of everything. Love the German. I have forgotten all my Dad taught me.
    Konnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anke,
    I had knee replacement surgery on March 29th and I had to stay still for several weeks. I know that it is really hard when your mind is active, thinking of all you want to do, and not being able to DO it. You accomplished alot with your sewing, knitting, and cooking. Thank you for our kind words and visitng my blog.

    ReplyDelete