Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Window treatment

For a long time now I wanted to add a window treatment of some sort to our master bathroom. I knew I didn't want the traditional blinds, but I really didn't know what I wanted. About two weeks ago I saw these shutters at one of the thrift stores we go to and I couldn't get them out of my head. So, a few days ago we went back and I took a closer look. One of the fabric panels was missing as were some hinges. Also one of the shutters was coming unglued and needed a little TLC. Nothing I couldn't fix, especially when I found out the price - $2.- for the whole set!!!! Major score!!!
Ich wollte schon seit laengerem irgendetwas an unserem Badezimmerfenster haben. Rollos oder Vorhaenge, darueber war ich mir allerdings nicht im Klaren. Vor ca. zwei Wochen habe ich diese alten Fensterlaeden im second hand Laden gesehen und sie gingen mir nicht mehr aus dem Kopf. Also, vor ein paar Tagen habe ich dann die Maedels geschnappt und wir sind uns die Dinger mal genauer ansehen gegangen. Eine Stoffpanele hat gefehlt ein Teil der Laeden musste geleimt werden und einige Scharniere waren auch futsch. Nichts was ich nicht reparieren konnte, vor allem als ich den Preis erfuhr: $2.- fuer das ganze Set!!!!This is the bathroom window before I hung the shutters. Sorry about the bad picture, but during the day the window gets full sun and it was hard for me to get a better shot.
So sah das Badezimmerfenster vorher aus. Sorry, dass das Bild so grottenschlecht ist. Das Fenster hat tagsueber pralle Sonne und ich hab's ewig probiert ein besseres zu machen - wie ihr seht erfolglos...
This is what the window looks like now. Tried taking the pictures at night, but again didn't really turn out that great. The shutters provide some shade and privacy, but they don't block out too much light. Total cost: $2 for the shutters, $8 for a can of spray paint and hinges. New window treatment for $10 - not too shabby...
So sieht das Fenster jetzt mit den "restaurierten" Fensterlaeden aus. (Habe dieses Bild extra am Abend gemacht, hat aber leider auch nicht viel geholfen.) Die Laeden helfen wirklich gegen die pralle Sonne aber sie machen das Bad nicht zu dunkel. Gekostet hat das ganze wie gesagt $2 fuer die Laeden und $8 fuer eine Dose Farbe und Scharniere - nicht schlecht, oder?

12 comments:

  1. WOW! What a fabulous find for a fabulous window - I love how you think! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that Anke! What a change from what the shutters were like before. It just goes to show that if you take a good look at an item, and with a little imagination you can always do something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. toll geworden. Den Stoff hattest Du wohl zuhause ??
    Und wie hast Du das alles befestigt??
    Wir zählen die Tage bis zum Wiedersehen!!!
    Liebe Grüsse Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvia, den Stoff hatte ich zuhause und die Panelen habe ich in die Rahmen geklebt. Die Fensterlaeden sind im Fensterrahmen mit Scharnieren befestigt, kann sie also auch komplett oeffnen wenn ich moechte. Wir zaehlen die Tage auch schon, freuen uns riesig auf unseren Besuch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liebe Anke,
    das sieht so wunderschön aus. Eine gute Idee hat du da gehabt. Ich finde die günstigen Ideen sind häufig die besten.
    Ganz lieben Gruß an dich vonb Petra

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, Anke! You are quite the inovator! What a fabulous redo for a total of $10...I can only imagine what that treatment would have cost had you gone out and bought it new! VERY nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo Anke,
    wunderschön geworden, mal wieder ein Beweis das man nicht immer alles neu kaufen muß!
    Selbst ist die Frau !
    Tschüss
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen anything like that on a window before. Isn't it nice when you find what you want for cheap and then customize it to fit exactly your style? I'm glad you are happy with them. Looks nice!

    p.s. I never had homemade Himbeersaft before. I like pouring a little in some tasteless Setzer water...(geschmackloser Sprudel) because I just love the "bubbles" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so awesome!!! A little creativity goes a long way...and with litte expense.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I've been following your site for a long time now and finally got the courage to go
    ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic job!


    Feel free to surf to my homepage ... water testing day care queens - ,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Domain names are quite easy to acquire but I'll be honest it is sometimes quite hard to get just
    the one you want as there are literally millions of them already in use.
    Tip Four - From my point of view, the safest way to find a
    good hosting provider is to consult your friends or business partners.
    The File Manager is an under-utilized feature in Cpanel.


    My blog post; hostgator coupon february 2014 (http://Free.Yudu.Com/)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, I've just been looking for information approximately this
    topic for a long time and yours is the best I have came upon so far.
    However, what about the conclusion? Are you positive about the source?


    Feel free to visit my web page: toko online jual kacamata

    ReplyDelete