Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Trading plants...

A few coworkers and I have a very nice "plant exchange program" going on. My contribution were a bunch of strawberry plants (when we moved them from the bed to the towers), green onion seedlings and tomato plants. One coworker brought monkey grass and the other lambs ear and today Iris's. She had dug them up yesterday and they were in desperate need of water when I got them. As soon as Nadia came home we got busy planting the poor things. Planting anything in our clay soil is a lot of work, Nadia gave up after a while.
Wir haben ein "Pflanzenaustauschprogramm" auf der Arbeit. Einige Kolleginnen und ich haben schon so einiges untereinander getauscht und ich finde das einfach klasse. Ich habe Erdbeerpflanzen (als wir sie vom Beet in die Tuerme gepflanzt haben), Lauchzwiebeln und Tomatenpflanzen beigesteuert. Eine Kollegin hat "monkey gras" und die andere "lambs ears" und heute Iris beigetragen. Die Iris wurde schon gestern ausgegraben und musste unbedingt wieder eingepflanzt werden - sah schon etwas mitgenommen aus. Als Nadia von der Schule nach Hause kam haben wir uns sofort ans Werk gemacht. Sie hat versucht das Loch selbst zu graben, aber mit unserem Lehmboden ist das gar nicht so einfach. Sie gab nach 'ner Weile auf und ich habe es fertig gemacht.She did help me water it in and then helped water some of the other plants. See how nice the clematis is in the background?
Sie hat mir jedoch mit dem Giessen geholfen und hat, nachdem sie mit diesem Beet fertig war,noch ein paar andere gegossen. Seht ihr wie fleissig die Klematis im Hintergrund blueht?
Once Nadia got done watering she checked on the strawberries. Not that many yet, but she picked a few. She saved two for Hannah, ate two herself and I "had" to eat one because otherwise it wouldn't have been fair. :-)
Wer arbeitet hat Hunger und Nadia hat gleich mal nach den Erdbeeren gesehen. Waren zwar noch nicht viele reif, aber ein paar konnte sie doch ernten. Sie hat zwei fuer Hannah aufgehoben, zwei selbst gegessen und eine "musste" ich essen da es sonst nicht fair gewesen waere. :-)
While we were gardening, Savvy made sure we did everything right... That is when she wasn't bringing us pine cones (like in the first picture) to throw...
Waehrend wir fleissig im Garten waren hat Savvy zugesehen und aufgepasst, dass wir alles richtig machen. Wenn sie uns nicht gerade Tannenzapfen zum Werfen herbeigeschleift hat - so wie im ersten Photo...

11 comments:

  1. Oh, your dog does that too? I went for a walk and one of our neighbor's dog proceeded to bring me a pine cone as if it were a gift for me, but in retrospect I realized she wanted to play.

    Gardening is fun when you can do it together. What a great idea to have a plant exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't met Savvy before, she's a sweetie!

    Oh, and look at that clematis, I think I need to move further south. : )

    What a great idea to have a plant exchange, I like it!

    Be well ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea to do a plant exchange! I have several gardening neighbors, I wonder if they'd be interested in starting one up. Thanks for the idea. Looks like your daughter is quite the helper in your garden, and hooray for strawberries! My girls have each eaten one strawberry so far, and were quite thrilled with them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Das mit dem Pflanzentauschen ist eine sehr gute Idee. Ich hätte auch ab und an etwas abzugeben. Leider habe ich immer niemanden, der mir die Pflanzen abnimmt.
    Hab einen schönen Tag und sei lieb gegrüßt, Petra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liebe Anke, so is das mit den Mitbewohnern, der eine braucht tote Hühner, der andere Tannenzapfen, der dritte Lammohren - wobei ich jetzt schon gerne wüßte, was das sein soll. Hassu Foto ?
    Und beim ersten Satz las ich tatsächlich cow-workers und wunderte mich, in welcher Brache Du arbeitest.........wie gut, dass man mehrsprachig ist..........

    Wachsen Deine Töchter eigentlich zweisprachig auf ? Wär schade, wenn nicht, denn Kinder saugen das so so nebenbei auf und müssen nix lernen.

    Euch allen wünsche ich ein schönes Wochenende !
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Anke!

    Love the idea of the plant exchange that you and your co-workers have going there! I love iris...one of my all time favorite spring/early summer flowers! They rate right up there with peonies! Your clematis is absolutely gorgeous...love that deep purple. And I adore your Border Collie. She's beautifully marked.

    We got in from our time with our Maine family around 2:00 today. We had a wonderful week...and tried to make every minute count with our granddaughters. They are growing up so fast! In another month they will be here with us for a week! Can hardly wait!

    The mailman dropped off all of our mail the post office had been holding for us while we were gone. Thank you so much for that sweet thank you note I found in the stack of mail. SO glad that you and the girls enjoyed the gourds. I took note of the fact that both Hannah and Nadia had signed their names as well. ;)

    Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend, Anke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you lived closer, I have a ton of plants and flowers to give away as I am paring down the gardens here, there are just way too many!!

    Strawberry pic & story = win :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anke....Savvy is adorable!! And your gardens are just beautiful. Oh, I can hardly wait....we are so many weeks behind you!!!
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by and leaving sweet comments for me yesterday and today. It's good to be getting caught up with my bloggy friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just a state away if you need plants! I have so many irises, daylilies, and the list goes on! I was finally able to grow my German Hollyhock seeds, and I can't wait to see them bloom yet that will probably be next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. :0 savvy! your clematis is gorgeous! glad you got to enjoy a strawberry also. hope your plant eschange plants make themselves at home. same here as what ulrike said. if you see something in one of my pics you found like to try, just let me know and i will share also:)

    ReplyDelete