Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Freezing herbs

The dill and cilantro are doing really well this year. I'm very happy about that, because last year we didn't get a lot of either one.
Unser Dill und Koriander wachsen und gedeihen dieses Jahr. Freue mich auch richtig darueber, denn letztes Jahr hatten wir damit wenig Glueck.Today I harvested the first batch of dill since I wanted to get some before they started producing seed heads. I do plan on letting it go to seed, but not just yet.
Heute habe ich den ersten Dill geerntet, da ich nicht jetzt schon will das er blueht. 80 g waren es die ich abgeschnitten habe, klingt zwar nicht nach viel, aber es war eine ganze Schuessel voll.
To preserve the herbs, I just chop them as finely as I want them, put them in ice cube trays with some water and freeze them. If I want to add the dill to the salad dressing, I actually just add the whole ice cube, since we add water to our dressing anyway.
Tomorrow I plan on harvesting and freezing some cilantro. Greg and I LOVE that stuff in homemade salsa!
Ich musste den Dill ziemlich gut waschen, dann wurde er fein geschnippelt und mit etwas Wasser in Eiswuerfelformen eingefroren. Wenn ich den Dill in der Salatsosse haben will, kommt einfach der ganze Eiswuerfel rein da wir ehe immer etwas Wasser an unsere Sosse geben.
Morgen werde ich das Ganze mit dem Koriander wiederholen. Greg und ich lieben Koriander in selbstgemachter Salsa!

9 comments:

  1. I can not believe how big everything is where you live! Ours are still small, we must get colder weather than you or something! Or I must be a poor gardener!! My dill is still so small. I ordered from German deli the sugar that has the thickening agent in which my mom says my tante uses all the time. My tante's jam was so delicious! More fruit than a super sweet taste. Hope you have a lovely weekend!!
    Liebe grusse,
    Ulrike
    P.S. Do you meet any blogger friends when in Germany? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful, I love both those herbs very much too...My Oma made the best dill sauce for her servietten knoedel...I miss them!

    Happy harvest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a lightbulb moment. I had no idea you cold freeze herbs. This icecube tray works for basil as well????
    I love making salsa...it is the best treat in the world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Anke,

    und ich habe mich gerade erst gestern nachmittag im Garten über meineen Dill gefreut, der ist nämlich gerade erst 5 cm hoch und hat sich vom letzten Jahr sehr gut versamt. Ich bin ganz glücklich damit, aber dein Dill,... Wahnsinn. Wie warm ist es denn bei euch?

    Ciao Elli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freezing herbs is a great idea. Thank you. Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ulrike, are you referring to Einmachzucker? I use that for my German jam recipes all the time. Last time, my Mom brought me some and this time I plan on bringing some back with me. As of now I don't have any plans on meeting blogging friends. We have so many people we want to see and places we want to go, we might not even be able to squeeze all that in.
    Suz, I use that method for most of my herbs - even basil. I have just stuffed basil leaves into a bag and broken off pieces as I needed it. Doesn't look so pretty anymore, but for certain dishes it will definitely work.
    Elli,zur Zeit haben wir zwischen 25 und 30 Grad tagsueber und 12 -15 in der Nacht. Bei uns hat der Sommer Einzug gehalten und die Maedels sind schon fast jeden Tag im Pool. Habe jetzt schon ein bissl Muffe vor dem kalten Wetter in Dtld...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo Anke,
    bei Dir scheint es ja wirklich Sommer zu sein! Dein Dill und Koriander sind ja schon ganz schön hoch!!!!! Aber auch hier in Deutschland ist es mittlerweile etwas wärmer geworden. Allerdings wohl nur eine Zweitagsfliege :0(((. Ab Morgen soll es wieder kühler werden. Da hast Du wohl mehr Glück!!!
    Ganz liebe Grüße Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. i do this with various herbs also anke:) so convenient. i am hoping to get my deep freezer replaced soon as i am harvesting things already also. our seasons are so crazy this year. our temps are in the 90's and we are having thunder/lightening storms, due to the heat! goldrod, primroses, valerian, and others are blooming way to early. rather disconcerting. so nice to share about these quick ways to preserve things:)

    ReplyDelete