Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Friday, April 23, 2010

Zaziki

I work with a bunch of Twilight fanatics and tomorrow night we're supposed to get together to watch New Moon. Let me just say, I enjoyed reading the books (once) and I am by no means a fanatic about it. But just watching some of my friends get into the whole thing makes it a very entertaining evening. That is if the weather doesn't get as bad as it has been predicted. Major storms are actually heading our way and we'll have to just wait and see how bad it gets tomorrow.
Anyway... Everybody is bringing food and my contribution is Zaziki (or Satsiki or however else you want to spell it) a Greek garlic dip. Thought that was kinda fitting with the whole vampire thing...
Einige meiner Arbeitskolleginnen sind absolute Twilight Fanatiker und morgen abend wollen wir uns hier bei mir treffen um den Film New Moon miteinander anzuschauen. Ich habe die Buecher gelesen (ein einziges Mal) und bin ueberhaupt nicht so fanatisch mit dem ganzen Twilight Zeug. Wird aber bestimmt ein lustiger Abend, denn alleine meinen Freundinnen zuzusehen wird unterhaltsam. D.h. wenn wir den Abend nicht wegen schlechtem Wetter absagen muessen. Fuer morgen ist sehr schlechtes Wetter angekuendigt (Gewitter, Hagel, Windstuerme, Tornados...) und wir muessen abwarten ob es wirklich so schlimm kommt.
Falls der Abend stattfindet, bringt jeder etwas zu essen mit. Ich hatte mich fuer Zaziki (ueber die Schreibweise bin ich mir nie im Klaren) entschieden, denn ich fand das mit dem ganzen Vampirthema recht passend.Zaziki
500 g Quark* about 2 1/2 cups
about 1/2 cup plain yogurt (optional)
1 cucumber, peeled and grated
1 tsp salt
3 - 4 garlic cloves
*Quark is very hard to find here in our neck of the woods. I buy plain yogurt (for this recipe I used two large containers) and drain of the whey in a cheesecloth lined sieve. Mine normally drains overnight.
Mix the Quark and yogurt together and add the garlic. I use the garlic press, but you could also use finely minced garlic.
Peel and grate the cucumber and place it in a bowl with the tsp salt. Let sit for 15 minutes, then drain all the liquid. Really squeeze the cucumber to get all the liquid out.
Add the cucumber to the Quark mixture, mix well and chill for at least one hour. Taste and add salt as needed.
I have several different recipes for the Zaziki. You can omit the yogurt, add up to two cucumber, or as little as 1/2 cucumber. Add as much garlic as you like, just make sure everybody has at least a little bit of the Zaziki. Otherwise it'll be a very lonely night for you... :-)

500 g Quark
bis zu 250 g Joghurt
1/2 bis zu 2 geschaelte, gehobelte Gurken (je nach Geschmack, ich habe eine Gurke gehobelt)
1 Teel. Salz
3-4 Knoblauchzehen
Quark, Joghurt und Knoblauch mischen. Ich habe nehme die Knoblauchpresse her, man kann den Knoblauch aber auch ganz fein schnippeln.
Die Gurke hobeln, mit dem Salz mischen und 15 Minuten stehen lassen. Gurke gut ausdruecken und zum Quark hinzu geben. Gut mischen und mindestens eine Stunde ruhen lassen. Abschmecken und fall noetig nachwuerzen.
Immer aufpassen, dass alle von dem Zaziki essen! Sonst wird's ein sehr einsamer Abend. :-)

14 comments:

  1. A little greek cafe in town makes Tzaziki which appears to be the same thing. I LOVE this! I make my own version with yogurt and a bit of lemon juice and dill as well as the cucumber, salt, and garlic. The thicker yogurt works great on pita bread, but if you use the thinner yogurt, it makes a nice summer soup. I've never even heard of quark before - I'll keep my eye out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's perfect, Anke - garlic and bad weather (he, he, he) like Halloween in April. Sounds like so much fun. I know you'll have a good time.

    Auf Wiedersehen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy...should definitely keep the vampires away. I have never heard of Quark....what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun get together! Will be praying those storms will pass you by though.

    Wanted to mention that I left a second comment on your post from yesterday...about the sauerkraut. Thought those few things might be of a help to you whenever you are able to work it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bev, Quark is something that is readily available in Germany. It is thicker than yogurt or sour creme, maybe a little along the lines of a Greek yogurt. In Germany you can buy it plain or with the addition of herbs. So far I only found it once at out commissary, but for almost $5 for a 16 oz container! I'd rather make it myself! It is very good on baked potatoes (loaded with fresh herbs) or even on a slice of freshly baked bread.
    Thank you Dianna, I did see the other comment. Those are some very helpful hints and I will definitely have to try making my own Sauerkraut. The girls don't really care for it, but Greg and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ich liebe Tzaziki!Ich mache es auch immer so.
    Anke hast Du keinen Quark-Joghurt maker?da kannst Du auch gut Quark drin machen.Habe die Maschine schon viele Jahre und die kommt auch viel zu Einsatz.Da brauchst Du nur Buttermilch.
    LG Jeannette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeannette, von einem Quark/Joghurt maker habe ich noch nie gehoert. Wo hast du das Teil denn her?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ich habe ihn bei german corner.com for 7 Jahren bestellt.Er ist von salton,Quark-Joghurt -Maker YM9.Er ist oft auch ausverkauft und inzwischen auch etwas teurer.Kannst auch Joghurt selber machen.Ich liebe Ihn.Ist so einfach und schmeckt total gut der Quark.
    LG Jeannette.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to find out what you thought about the movie! I'm a Twilight fan thanks to Aaron...never in a MILLION years thought I would be. The tzaziki looks so tasty. I just love all the stuff coming out of your kitchen. I've been so uninspired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm I love a good Tzaziki - your recipe sounds delish, I might give it a try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ich mag die Twilight Geschichte auch nicht so besonders, weiß aber von meinen Kindern z. B., dass sie alles darum als Kult empfinden.
    Ganz liebe Grüße an dich von Petra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jayme, I had seen the movie before - actually took the girls to see it when it came out. Hannah is the real Twilight fan around here, but even she insist the books are so much better than the movies. I did enjoy the books, might even read them again one day, but like I said, not a die hard Twilight fan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I had something similar when I was a child, but my Tante lives on quark!! Have you ever used the pilsa (not sure if I spelled that right)? The little white glob that you add to milk? It sits out of the fridge in a dark cupboard, and it thickens. Really isn't bad especially if you like yogurt, and that little glob even grows!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anke! Sometime during the night I remembered what that pilsa is....Kefir! Strange what things pop into the head late at night!!

    ReplyDelete