Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Monday, March 15, 2010

Wheat 'N" Seed

That's the name of the bread I baked yesterday, and with a name like that, I just had to give it a try. Its very yummy!
You will need:
1 1/4 cup milk (whey)
2 tbs honey
2 tsp shortening
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbs sesame seeds
2 tsp poppy seeds
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
The dough was made in the bread maker, then I shaped the loaf by hand. Let the bread rise for at least one hour, place a bowl of water into a cold oven. Brush top of loaf with water (whey) and place bread in cold oven. Turn oven to 350 and bake for 50 minutes. Remove bread, turn oven off, brush bread with water one more time and return to oven for 10 more minutes. This gives it a nice crust - which we love. This is pretty much how I bake all of my bread, with the exception of baguettes.
Das ist ein neues Brotrezept das ich die Tage gefunden hatte. Den Namen kann man leider nicht so gut uebersetzen, klingt in english einfach besser. Brot ist sehr lecker, werde ich bestimmt noch oefters backen...The girls wanted something sweet today, so I made these Almond Banana Muffins. Each girl wanted seconds, so they must have been good.
Beide Maedels hatten heute Heisshunger auf was Suesses und so habe ich diese Mandel Bananen Muffins gebacken. Beide haben jeweils 2 Muffins verdrueckt, sie muessen ihnen also geschmeckt haben. Und gesund sind sie auch!
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 mashed ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup slivered almonds (the original recipe called for chocolate chips, but I didn't have any)
Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs, vanilla and bananas. Add dry ingredients, then slivered almonds. Bake at 350 for 18 - 25 minutes. This made 12 muffins by the way.

4 comments:

  1. Both of your recipes today sound so yummy, Anke! They are so healthy...something I always appreciate about the recipes you share. I'll be giving them a try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to buy a great bread that had sunflower, poppy and sesame seeds when we lived in Texas and I had a GOOD grocery store (HEB). Can't wait to bake this and the muffins too! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum....I will try your bread recipe tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of those sound so good. I need to get back into baking bread. I don't know why I haven't done it this winter. Maybe it could be these extra pounds that have showed up!!

    ReplyDelete