Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Friday, March 5, 2010

Thrifting and a resulting craft

Yesterday before we went to Taekwondo we stopped by a thrift store. It's a really cute store and there's always something I want to take home. This time I found these two canning jars. They actually had a whole bunch of them, but most of them without lids. I love storing some of my bread baking supplies in old canning jars!
Gestern bevor wir zu Taekwondo gegangen sind, sind wir noch mal schnell in den nahegelegenen second hand Laden rein. Es ist ein niedlicher kleiner Laden und ich finde jedes mal irgendwelche Schaetze die ich mit nach hause nehmen moechte. Dieses Mal habe ich diese zwei alten Einmachglaeser gefunden. Sie hatten eigentlich ganz viele, aber leider hatten die meisten Glaeser keine Deckel mehr. Ich bewahre viele meiner Brotbackzutaten in alten Einmachglaesern auf.For a while now I've also been searching thrift stores for a wool sweater (or two or three) to felt. Up until yesterday without success... While looking through the racks of clothes I found a purple, woman's, medium merino wool sweater. Price tag 1$ - Jackpot!! Kim over at the inadvertent farmer posted a tutorial for a really cute purse/bag and I wanted to see if I could make one, too.
After washing the sweater in hot water and drying it (twice) it shrunk down a whole bunch. Can you see it measures a whopping 12 inches in length?
Seit einiger Zeit suche ich schon nach alten Wollpullis um die (absichtlich) zu filzen. Bis gestern war meine Suche immer erfolglos... Als ich im second hand Laden gestoebert habe, bin ich auf einen lila Frauenpulli, Groesse M, reine Merinowolle gestossen. Der Preis? Ein ganzer Dollar!!! Kim der "inadvertent farmer" hat auf ihrem blog eine total niedliche Tasche aus einem gefilzten Pulli gemacht und ich wollte gleich mal sehen ob ich das auch kann.
Der Pulli, nachdem ich ihn zwei mal heiss gewaschen und getrocknet hatte. Seine Laenge ist auf ganze 30 cm geschrumpft.
After cutting off the sleeves and the making the neckline into the opening of the bag it looks more like a very odd tanktop.
Nachdem ich die Aermel abgeschnitten und den Halsauschnitt vergroessert hatte, sah der Pulli eher wie ein verhuntztes aermelloses Top aus.
This is the finished little bag, I think it turned out kinda cute. What do you think?
So sieht dann aber die fertige Tasche aus. Ist doch suess geworden, oder?
Out of some of the leftover felt I made this little cell phone cover. If you are interested in making a bag for yourself, pop on over to Kim's blog. She's done a fabulous job explaining how to make the bag.
Ich hatte noch ein bisschen Filz uebrig und daraus habe ich eine Huelle fuer mein cell phone gemacht. Falls ihr genauer sehen wollt wie die Tasche genaeht wird, schaut doch einfach mal bei Kim rein.

9 comments:

  1. What a super job! Good sweater find and that cell phone cover rocks...I would make one if I had a cell phone, which I don't. My kids think I'm in the dark ages, lol!

    Again, fantastic job! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your rosettes are beautiful additions, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are simply amazing, Anke! Love both of your items you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..You are so very Creative..I like that lil bag its very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bag and cell phone cover are so, so, so cute! What a great job you did. You've inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your felt bag e the applique flowers! I don't think I could ever find anything for 1$ in our thrift stores:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo, bin auf Deinen Blog geraten und finde Deine Tasche super klasse! LG Juditha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love it!! I need to head over to Goodwill soon! I too, like putting things in canning jars, much better than plastic although I still have plenty of those.

    ReplyDelete