Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Monday, February 15, 2010

Sunday, Monday...

Here are just a few random pictures from yesterday and today:
Nadia first thing in the morning, feeding a very hungry Pepper.
Hier nur ein paar Bilder von gestern und heute:
Nadia gleich nach dem Aufstehen mit einem sehr hungrigen Pepper.My first batch of homemade hummus. It's pretty good, but I think I'll tweak my next batch a little more...
Mein erster Versuch Hummus (Garbanzo Bohnen Dip) selbst zu machen. Schmeckt ganz gut, aber naechstes mal werde ich das Rezept ein bisschen abaendern.
More snow and ice this morning. The driveway and roads were very slick and Greg saw a lot of accidents on his way to work.
Heute morgen lag wieder Schnee und die Auffahrt und Strassen waren sehr glatt. Greg hat auf dem Weg zur Arbeit viele Unfaelle gesehen... Gut, dass heute Feiertag ist und die Maedels und ich nirgendwohin mussten!



This pompom pillow top was made by Greg's grandmother over 20 something years ago. It was always in the back of a closet somewhere, but I finally decided to make a pillow for it and use it in our living room. It holds great sentimental value for Greg.
Dieses Pompom Kissentop hat Greg's Oma vor ueber 20 Jahren gemacht. Es lag bisher immer irgendwo ganz hinten im Schrank, aber jetzt habe ich dafuer ein Kissen genaeht. Es haelt grossen sentimentalen Wert fuer Greg und jetzt ist es im Wohnzimmer auf dem Sofa.
Hummus

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 can of garbanzo beans, 1/2 cup liquid reserved
4 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs tahini
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
black pepper or cumin to taste (I used cumin)
Add everything to blender or food processor and mix until creamy.
I added the 1/2 cup of liquid and it is a little too runny in my opinion. Next time I will add less or omit the liquid. I found the garlic to be a little too strong in this recipe, next time I will try to use roasted garlic instead.

5 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed your post today. Love not only the pillow you made for the pillow topper that your husband's grandmother made so many years ago, but also the fact that you did it for your husband because it holds so much sentimental value for him! That's special. I love homemade hummus, so I'll give this recipe a try. It's been a while since I made any. I have everything but the tahini. I used mine all up a while back and didn't replace it. Sure hope that your weather clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the hummus recipe sounds good. I can eat a whole bowl of it. That is a really lovely pillow you made. Things like that I find are worth more in our hearts than something you buy at the store. It looks like you got the snow and ice they were forecasting for us today. We only received cold rain once again. All of our snow is now gone, but it was lovely.
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried hummus. But I did have a student once who INTENTIONALLY mispronounced "humus" as "hummus."

    Silly kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do love hummus! Your post was so homey and cozy today. We still have ten inches of snow on the ground now, and more is coming. About six more weeks of winter, and it'll be spring for real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all have had quite the winter this year!! I bet you are ready for spring. Well, hand in there...your spring will come way before mine does!!! I will enjoy watching your flowers start to bloom....while we probably will still have snow on the ground.

    Love the guinea pig....I used to have one when I was little. Her name was Mrs. Peabody and she would squeal every time the refrigerator door opened.

    ReplyDelete