Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Homemade snack food

For a while now the girls have been asking to make beef jerky. We all like to snack on it (every now and then), so we got some started last night. The meat stays in the marinade over night and we put it in the dehydrator in the morning.
Seit einiger Zeit fragen Hannah und Nadia schon ob und wann wir wieder einmal beef jerky (getrocknetes Fleisch) machen. Gestern abend haben wir es dann eingelegt und mariniert, und heute frueh kam es in den "dehydrator" zum Trocknen.The 1 1/2 pound roast after being dehydrated...
We made a Teriyaki marinade this time, not very spicy, everybody was very happy with it.
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tbs brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce (since we had more then 1 pound of meat, I used a little more soy sauce)
3 cloves garlic, crushed (with the flat side of a knife)
1 pound meat, thinly sliced
Es waren 1 1/2 Pfund Fleisch und das ist uebrig geblieben. Wir haben eine Teriyaki Marinade gemacht und das jerky schmeckt sehr lecker.
I've wanted to make pretzels for a long time now, and this morning I finally decided to make them. All I can say is WOW, I wish I would have made them sooner. They turned out fabulous, not tooting my own horn... After all, I only followed the recipe...
The ingredients are put into the bread machine and only go through the first kneading cycle. Then you take the dough out and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Die amerikanischen Pretzeln sind sehr weich und ueberhaupt nicht unser Fall. Deshalb habe ich schon seit laengerer Zeit mit dem Gedanken gespielt selbst Pretzeln zu backen. Heute frueh habe ich es dann in Angriff genommen und das Resultat war FABELHAFT! Super Rezept, werde ich ganz bestimmt noch oefters machen!
Der Teig wird nur fuer ca 5 - 10 Minuten in der Brotbackmaschine durchgeknetet, dann kommt er schon raus und muss fuer 5 Minuten ruhen.
Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 16 inch long rope. Form the pretzels, pinch to hold shape.
Den Teig in 8 gleiche Stuecke schneiden und jedes Stueck in 40 cm lange Rollen formen. Pretzeln formen, dabei die Enden gut zusammen "zwicken".
In a saucepan add 2 quarts of water and 1/2 cup baking soda, bring to a gentle boil. Place two pretzels at a time in boiling water for about 15 seconds or until lightly golden in color.
In einem Topf 2 Liter Wasser und 1/2 Tasse Natron zum Kochen bringen. Immer zwei Pretzeln zur gleichen Zeit fuer ca 15 Sekunden ins kochende Wasser geben.
Sprinkle a baking sheet with coarse kosher or sea salt. Place pretzels on salt and sprinkle with additional salt - I have to use a little less next time.
Ein Backblech mit grobem Salz bestreuen, Pretzeln darauf legen und mit mehr Salz bestreuen. Habe dieses Mal ein bisschen zuviel Salz darauf gegeben...
Bake at 475 for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Bei 240 fuer 8 bis 10 Minuten gold - braun backen.
Wheat pretzels
1 cup plus 3 tbs water (I used whey leftover from making goat cheese yesterday)
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbs light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

1 Tasse plus 3 Essloeffel Wasser (ich habe Molke genommen, da von gestern soviel uebrig war)
1 1/2 Tassen Brotmehl
1 1/2 Tassen Weizenmehl (Vollkorn)
2 Essl brauner Zucker
1 1/2 Teel Hefe

7 comments:

  1. I love making the soft pretzels, too, Anke! I made them one time with about 10 or 12 junior age kids...all in my kitchen! They had a blast and so did I! It had been a while since I'd made any so I made them with my grandson a while back. He had fun, too! They are just so good when they are fresh like that.

    We also have enjoyed making the jerky in the past. My husband is a hunter, so we would always save a portion of the venison each year to make into jerky. Don't do it as much now that the kids are grown and away from home. But it is also yummy!

    You've had a really productive weekend at your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those look so good! I'll have to try them soon. I found your blog on down-to-earth and have really enjoyed it!

    Blessings,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo, na bei Euch gibt es nur leckere Sachen. Gestern Ziegenkäse und heute Jummy.Kann mich noch daran erinnern das ich es mal bei Dir gegessen habe.War echt lecker ich wollte es mal im Backofen probieren fand aber kein Rezept.Liebe Grüsse Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anke, you do such a great job on everything! Your pretzels look perfect. I've never eaten jerky, but yours does look good enough to eat! The ones in the store always scared me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anke, you keep coming up with great recipes! I guess when you have kids at home it makes a big difference! Mines up the hill and came down for blueberry pancakes yesterday....in her pjs!! Since my hubby is a hunter too I made a batch of jerky, but froze it since we were so busy to dry it. I have done that with lots of things, and the flavor really gets into whatever I marinade.
    The pretzels look really good, so I have to put it on my list to come back too. I keep a yellow pad on my desk to write things down that I want to do!
    I told my hubby about getting a truck load of compost like you did so that is next on my list!!
    So, are you in the forecast for snow too tomorrow? I am so ready for spring!
    Liebe Grusse!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys for your sweet and kind comments. I really enjoy hearing from everybody...
    Ulrike, we might get 1-2 inches tomorrow. :-( I really hope not, I'm just so ready for spring. The temps this weekend are supposed to be in the mid to upper 60's. Yeah, can't wait! I found the goats milk through an article in the newspaper, you could try localharvest.org though.
    Sylvia, hast du das jerky Rezept verstanden? Wenn nicht, kann ich es dir ja uebersetzen, habe ein paar verschiedene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anke,
    I just wanted to thank you for stopping by this morning and leaving a note for me. I appreciate the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete