Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stars

I saw stars like these on somebody's blog the other day and it brought back a lot of memories. We used to make them growing up around Christmas every year, I had just forgotten about them. The other blog called them Waldorf stars and they were in rainbow colors. Hannah and I decided to make them in Valentine's colors and add a little glitter to them.
Aehnliche Sterne habe ich vor ein paar Tagen auf einem anderen blog gesehen, und ich musste daran denken wie oft wir solche als Kinder gebastelt hatten. Gut, bei uns war es typisch in der Weihnachtszeit, aber auf dem anderen blog waren die Sterne in Regenbogenfarben. Hannah und ich dachten dann, warum nicht in Valentine's Farben mit einem bissl Glitzer.I cut the kite paper in squares (size depends on how big you want the stars to be) and Hannah got busy folding.
Ich habe das Papier in Quadrate zugeschnitten (Groesse haengt davon ab wie gross der fertige Stern sein soll) und Hannah hat fleissig gefalten.

You fold the square in half lengthwise, then fold it in half again.
Man faltet das Quadrat in viertel,
Next you bring all points in to meet in the middle,
dann bringt man alle Spitzen zur Mitte.
Bring the left side in to the middle, creating a sharp point. Repeat with right side.
Nun bringt man eine Seite zur Mitte, dann die andere Seite.
Now you have one finished tip, you will need a total of eight.
Das ist eine fertige Sternspitze, man benoetigt davon acht Stueck.
Next you glue your eight star points together, making sure you slip the last point under the first point.
Wenn man acht hat, klebt man die einzelnen Spitzen zu einem Stern zusammen. Bei der letzten Spitze beachten, dass man sie unter die erste Spitze klebt.You can add something (a cutout, a sticker) to the middle like we did or leave it blank. Glitter is optional, but what is Valentine's without a little sparkle?
Wir haben ein Herz ausgestanzt und in die Mitte geklebt, ist aber nicht notwendig. Glitzer ist auch wahlweise, aber was ist Valentine's Tag ohne...

7 comments:

  1. A good craft for the grandkids next time! It is almost like making those windmills from many moons ago.
    Oh, have you been to the website out in Texas that sells German food, magazines, the mustard which we love. If not let me know and I will pass on the website to you. I found it after we came back and ran out of mustard!! I have also purchase Wohen & Garten which is my favorite magazine!!! after my cousin gave hers to me.
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I stopped by to visit today by following you from a comment you left on Granny Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ulrike, I've never been to that website. Would you mind passing it on? We do have a "european" store here in town, but I was told it was very expensive. They do sell a few German items in the Commissary which I'm very happy about.
    Hi Keetha, I'm glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anke! Here is the website
    http://www.germandeli.com/index.html
    You will absolutely love it. They do a wonderful job on shipping, and have a ton of things even schinken! apfelschorle, etc. I get excited every time I get an email as they will have sales or back in stock items. The magazines will go quickly like Lisa.
    Let me know what you think!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Ulrike, I just went to their website and started to drool! They have a lot of great stuff and I think I might order from them in the future. Some of the things they sell I'm able to buy in our Commissary. Things like Nutella, Maggie products, mustard, curry ketchup, honey... Do you have a place close to you where you can buy German food?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liebe Anke,
    ich liebe diese Sterne und habe immer noch einen weißen im Fenster hängen. Das mit den Valentin-Sternen finde ich eine gute Idee.
    Hab eine schöne Woche und sei ganz lieb gegrüßt, Petra
    Schau mal bei mir im Blog nach :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Anke, for doing those stars step by step. You give such wonderful instructions...very easy to follow. The stars are really pretty and that is something that I know my grandson would enjoy doing when we have opportunity to be together again!

    ReplyDelete