Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sewing and baking (again)

This Friday is Nadia's teachers birthday. A while back the girls made some bath salts as gifts, but we wanted to add a little something else to it. I still had some of this cute school themed fabric left and decided to make her a little fabric basket. We added the salts and some of her favorite candy bars and voila a sweet and handmade gift. Hope she enjoys it...
Diesen Freitag hat Nadia's Lehrerin Geburtstag. Vor einiger Zeit haben Hannah und Nadia Badesalze gemacht, aber wir wollten noch eine Kleinigkeit dazu geben. Nachdem ich von diesem suessen Stoff mit Schulthema noch etwas uebrig hatte, habe ich ihr einfach noch einen Korb dazu genaeht. Jetzt ist er gefuellt mit Badesalz und ihren Lieblingsschokoriegeln und wir hoffen alles findet Gefallen.Baked baguette, again!!! This is my third try and my third recipe, every one of them being completely different. I decided to change this recipe a little bit and added roasted garlic to it. The smell was AWESOME!!! Hannah and I really enjoyed this baguette, Greg and Nadia preferred the country baguette which was my first try.
Habe heute (schon wieder) Baguettes gebacken!! Dies ist mein dritter Versuch und mein drittes Rezept, jedes schmeckt total anders. Dieses habe ich auch etwas abgeaendert und geroesteten Knoblauch hinzu gegeben. Hannah und ich fanden diese Baguette total klasse, Greg und Nadia fanden meinen ersten Versuch den Besten.
Wheat Baguette
1 1/4 cups plus 1tbs water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 3/4 cup bread flour
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
I added all the ingredients to the bread maker and used the dough setting. Once done, I turned the dough onto my work surface and kneaded the dough a bit more. I divided the dough in half and rolled them into 10 by 6 inch rectangles.Spread the garlic* on baguette, fold in half lengthwise, then fold in half again. Pinch the seams and roll baguette over so seam is on bottom.Quickly roll baguette back an forth a few times to stretch to desired length and shape. Let dough rise for 1 1/2 hours. Bake at 450 for 25 minutes. I normally brush the tops of my loaves with water and add a bowl of water to my oven during baking time.

* I roasted two heads of garlic (drizzled with some olive oil) in the oven for about an hour. After they were cool enough to handle I squeezed the garlic out and mashed it with the olive oil. This was divided between the two baguettes.

2 comments:

  1. The bag is so cute. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the teacher will just love her present anke!! nice recipe also:) thank you for sharing it:)

    ReplyDelete