Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Monday, October 12, 2009

Laundry detergent and more...

Several month ago I read about homemade laundry detergent. It seemed like a good (and frugal) idea and I went and bought the items needed. At first I had a hard time finding the soap, but now I know which store carries it and the washing soda and borax seem to be available everywhere. I'm very happy with the detergent and it is a lot cheaper than the commercial stuff.

4 cups borax
4cups arm and hammer washing soda
1 bar of fels-naptha or zote soap, grated (OK, this takes a while..)
I use about 2 tbs per load, but you could use a little more if its really dirty laundry.

Vor ein paar Monaten habe ich angefangen mein eigenes Waschmittel zu machen. Die Seife zu reiben ist zwar etwas zeitaufwendig, aber das Endprodukt ist es mir wert. Die Waesche wird sauber, es ist gesuender als "normales" Waschmittel und es ist billiger. We also have a septic tank in the backyard that we try to treat monthly. We used to buy the commercial product available until I found a recipe to make my own.
Couldn't be easier:
2 cups sugar
1 quart simmering water
2 cups cornmeal
2 packages dry yeast (about 6 tsp)
Dissolve sugar in saucepan of simmering water and cool to lukewarm. Add cornmeal and yeast. Once everything is mixed flush it down the toilet, it might be necessary to flush twice. For best results do this before turning in for the night.


This is something I was working on (and finished) this weekend - Nadia's Halloween costume. It looks pink for some reason, but it's really red. The "big reveal" will be on or around Halloween of course.
An diesem Projekt habe ich vergangenes Wochenende gearbeitet, habe es sogar fertig bekommen. Es sieht zwar pink aus, ist aber rot und wird Nadia's Halloween Kostuem. Gezeigt wird das aber erst an Halloween...

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous recipes

    Would love for you to come join our friendly forum

    http://lickyalipsdelish.com/

    Kind regards

    Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anke! Thanks for entering my giveaway. I have seen your comments on Jayme's blog and I had no idea you were an AL girl too! I'll be checking back in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anke~! You beat me to it! I was planning on posting a 'recipe' for detergent. I'm going to try this one though, it seems easier than the one I was planning on making. You really like it? Does it suds up? We have a septic tank too....great info! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete