Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bread

Since I miss German bread so much I've been baking my own. I started out baking it in a bread machine but was never completely happy with the end result. Now I just make the dough in the machine and do the rest by hand. This is the dough after I kneaded it and shaped it into a loaf.
Nachdem ich deutsches Brot so vermisst habe, habe ich angefangen Brot selbst zu backen. Zuerst habe ich es immer in der Brotmaschine gebacken, war aber nie ganz mit dem Endresultat zufrieden. Jetzt mache ich nur den Teig in der Maschine und backe den Rest selbst fertig. Hier ist der Teig nachdem ich ihn einmal durchgeknetet habe und den Laib geformt habe. Here it is after rising for about 1 1/2 hours and after being brushed with water.
Hier ist der Laib nachdem er ca 1 1/2 Stunden aufgegangen ist und ich ihn mit Wasser bepinselt habe.
The finished product. This is one of my favorite breads, a multi grain bread.
Das Endproduct! Ich liebe dieses Brot!
Multi-Grain Bread
1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
1/4 cup water
3 tbls oil ( I use olive oil)
2 tbls honey
1 1/2 cups bread flour
3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
3/4 cups rye flour
3 tbls sunflower seeds
3 tbls rolled oats
1 /2 tbls wheat germ
3/4 teasp salt
2 teasp active dry yeast
I make the dough in the machine on the dough setting, take it out, knead it one more time and shape the loaf. I let it rest at least an hour, brush the top with water and put it in the cold oven. The oven is set for 350 and the bread bakes for 50 minutes. I then take it out, brush the top with water one more time and put it back in the (now turned off) oven for another 10 minutes. There is also a small bowl of water in the oven during the baking process. Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. oh that sounds wonderful anke! thank you for sharing the recipe and pictures. i do love a good hearty bread, and this sounds perfect! big herbal and honey hugs to you and your family too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for new bread recipes...thanks! Kim

    ReplyDelete