Success is not final, failure is not fatal - it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bread and socks (again)

Today I baked a "Basic sour rye" bread. If you love caraway seeds, you'll love this bread!
Heute habe ich ein Roggenbrot gebacken. Wer Kuemmel mag, mag auch dieses Brot!

1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tbs butter
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 3/4 cups rye flour
1 1/2 tbs caraway seeds
1 1/2 tbs sugar
1 1/4 teas salt
1 1/2 teas active dry yeast
I make the dough in the bread machine, knead by hand and form a loaf. After rising for one to two hours I brush the top with water and sprinkle more caraway seeds on top. Place bowl of water in oven, turn to 350 and add the loaf. Bake for 50 minutes, turn oven off, brush bread with water and place in oven for 10 more minutes. This gives it a nice crust. I also got started on another pair of socks, these will be for me. I love knitting socks, it's fast and easy. Not to mention how nice and warm my feet will be this winter..
Ich habe wieder ein paar Socken angefangen, dieses Mal fuer mich. Ich stricke fuer mein Leben gerne Socken, gehen schnell und leicht zu stricken. Ausserdem sind dann meine Fuesse schoen warm im Winter... Lacht nicht, Alabama hat auch kalte Tage und Naechte.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. Two things that I really want to do. Rye bread and knit. I can knit a scarf, but never learned to knit socks. Rye bread scares me, isn't that silly! I have to try both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're starting our sourdough baking adventure this afternoon. We got our starter going a few days ago, and we're excited to bake with it.

    We got your package yesterday, and it was a BIG HIT!

    Are you on Ravelry? I am feebeeglee there, but I don't get on too often. It's a great resource though. Love the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bake all of our bread but alas I am married to a man who doesn't like sourdough, sigh. I LOVE that sock! Kim

    ReplyDelete